Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Travel right before June LSAT

runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
edited March 2016 in General 2481 karma
Hi guys and gals,
I thought I'd poll the collective wisdom of 7Sagers for advice.
I'm taking a week-long unavoidable trip to Europe at the end of May (coming back June 02). I'm not thrilled about it, as a 7 hour jet lag is not exactly optimal preparation for the LSAT, but I hope 4 days would be enough to get over most of it. Because my little girl will be with me and I'll be busy with all kinds of errands, it will be very difficult to find time to do full length PT's, although I have been toying with the idea of doing one on the flight out and one on the flight back.
I'm planning to keep up the LG drilling, because my scores drop when I slack off.

What would you do for PT's if you were in my shoes? Finish all the fresh ones before going and maybe do a repeat on the flight and another after coming back? Save a fresh one for after coming back? Something else?

I've been taking 2 PT's a week religiously for what seems like an eternity and I got into a really nice groove with them. Seems like the best balance for me personally between a small enough load to avoid burnout and allow for drilling and BR, but large enough to keep those skills nice and sharp. I'm a bit worried to let go of my "safety blanket" routine, even though my rational mind tells me all of that work won't magically evaporate in a week.

How are you guys planning to "taper"? For those that already took the LSAT with pleasing results, what did you do during the last couple of weeks?

Many thanks!

Comments

• allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    This is a significant challenge (although I'm sure you will have a great trip!). I was actually just in Italy for vacation and I can say for my body it took well over 8 days to readjust completely (to Pacific Time). I hit serious sleepiness in the afternoon mostly, so... that doesn't bode well for the June test if your adjustment is anything like mine.
    Is this trip absolutely unavoidable or un-reschedulable??
    I just have to ask, because I think it could have an unwanted impact on your performance on test day.
    Maybe you can try to keep your home timezone hours on your trip, or at least begin transitioning your schedule at the end of the trip instead of waiting until you get home.
    As for PTs and prep the week before, I (nervously) stopped PTing, because I hit a high score the previous week and didn't want to destroy my confidence. Also, it's unlikely you will learn something in the last two PTs the week before the test that would truly increase your score. Whatever you know by the end of May is pretty much what you will go into the test knowing. The value of taking PTs the week of your administration is entirely in staying in the rhythm (keeping sharp on skills), and I believe that can be done with some light to moderate drilling in that week. You want a rested mind on test day, so I suggest shedding the safety blanket and doing a few drills throughout the week instead of full PTs. Then do a warm up of all section types before you go take the test.
    Hope that helps!!
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    @allison.gill.sanford thank you so much for your advice. You're right about the hay being in the barn by then, and deep down I know it, but it's good to hear it from someone else. It's mostly that "sharpness" that I'm worried about losing, but you're right, a few drills should keep it from happening. I'm always nervous like this when I taper for a race, but I have enough experience with running to get over the fear because I know that's what you're supposed to do and I've never lost my (very humdrum to begin with) speed from taking the week before the race off. I need to do the same with the LSAT and just burn that blankie! Maybe I'll try to take a week from PTing next month when my inlaws are here and see how it goes (I only have 12 PTs left anyway).

As for the trip, it's my grandmas 90s birthday, and for the first time in ~20 years all 6 grandchildren are going to be there (we are spread over three continents). She's the only one left of my "predecessors" (my parents both passed away years ago) and I'm painfully aware this might be the last time me and my daughter get to see her. The LSAT is important, but if the worst happens I can always think about September, even though I'd really like to be one and done. On the other hand, nobody else in my family ever made it to 90, and I just can't bring myself to not be there. I'll use the week to also sort out my undergrad transcripts, which need to be officially stamped, translated, re-stamped and picked up in person, which takes forever, otherwise I'd go for a shorter trip.

I'm definitely planning to not fully adapt to the local time (I love sleeping late and I'll probably be staying up late talking to my family, so I expect the adjustment to be only ~4hrs or so). Hopefully easier than going from Italy to PST!
    I travel to Europe every year, and I've always gone to work the first day back and managed to function fine until 5pm, but work's nowhere near as challenging as the LSAT. I'm hoping that after 4 days 5pm (writing sample time) will feel like a normal 7-8pm. I could deal with that.

Thanks again for sharing your experience - you're truly a Sage!
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    @runiggyrun That's a very good reason to go! Hope you and your daughter have a fantastic trip! Some things are, indeed, more important than the LSAT. We can border on obsession here, but it's really important to have the perspective to prioritize other things (especially family).
    It's great that you can do a retake if you need to. I was also very motivated to take the test just once, but open to a retake if necessary.
    Here's to you killing it in June, jet lag be damned! The most important factor will still be all the months of prep you put in beforehand. You might not feel totally "on" the day of, but ideally the skills you've learned will be habits at that point, and you'll make the right calls as you go through all the sections.