Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I apply to the US law schools?

eastringeastring Alum Member
edited April 2016 in Law School Admissions 109 karma
Hi everyone,

I'm a recently graduated Canadian student and I was wondering if it is worth applying to the T14 law schools in the upcoming admission cycle. My stats are:158 (Oct) and 166 (Feb) LSAT, and 3.86 UGPA (according to LSDAS). I'm not too familiar with the law school admission system in the US but it seems like a lot of schools average the multiple LSAT scores, which works against me. If I do apply, do you think applying for scholarship as an international student diminish my chances? Also, do I even have a shot at T14? Should I apply for ED?

I'm pretty confused as to where to start and when to start applying... Any advice, general tips would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

Comments

• helenharrishelenharris Alum Member
    edited April 2016 72 karma
    Why not? I know NYU takes average LSAT scores seriously, but according to threads I read, other schools seem care less about average scores. One thing I know for sure is that when LSAC delivering your grades, the average score appears anyway.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited April 2016 27823 karma
    Schools only care about your top score. That’s the only thing that affects their rankings, so they’ve got major incentive to look the other way on a lower score. LSAC has a calculator to compare your numbers to the admitted classes of many schools if you want to plug in your stats and see where you fall: https://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/UGPALSAT/UGPALSAT.aspx
    And being international will help you as that will diversify their class.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I think you definitely have a shot at T14 - the calculator gives you >50% chance at all but the top 10 most selective schools. It also looks like you still have a take left, so if you're serious about T14 you can take June and see if you can crack 170 (that would likely mean T14 with some money).
    Schools do look at all your scores, but they mostly base their decisions on your highest score.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    only a very few schools actually use the average... so if you are interested in coming to school in the US (and possibly working... not sure how transitioning back to Canada after US law school works) it wont hurt to apply, just going to cost ya a bit of $