Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preptest help

Matthew524Matthew524 Member
in General 651 karma
I recently received more time on the LSAT because I have a physical disability that puts me at an disadvantage to other test takers. That being said I am allotted 50% more time on my LSAT and the highest score I am receiving is a 159 with the extra time. I really need help because I want to score in the mid to high 160's and I am registered for the June LSAT. Any advice?

Comments

• MookittyyMookittyy Member
    167 karma
    A 10 point increase, especially after the 160 point, will most likely take a lot longer than one month to achieve. I think a lot of people are going to say that, if you can, do not take the June LSAT. You should always prepare yourself for as long as it takes for you to get to your target score, and then plan to take the LSAT. I think your best bet is to postpone until at least September. That way, you have a few more months to get your score as high as you can and plenty of time to practice.

Preparing for the LSAT is not something that can be rushed or "crammed" in one month before your write. I would know, because I tried it last October. It did not end well. Take as much time as you need, but don't rush the process.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2016 2086 karma
    @Mookittyy is right. Going from 159 - 165+ may take some time. However, this begs the question, which section(s) are you having trouble with? If it's LG, it's likely possible that you can boost your score quite a bit in a not-so-significant amount of time. If you're having trouble with LR or RC, then you may want to postpone the test.

Most importantly, take some time to drill the sections and questions that you're having trouble with. If you're constantly making the same mistakes over and over on your PT, than you're just wasting PTs.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Agreed @Mookittyy and @MrSamIam , that’s a big jump. If you were at a 140 wanting to push to a 150, then maybe. But each point is more difficult to earn than the one before it, and the climb starts getting really, really steep in the mid 160s. June is going to be a tall order, so I’d definitely postpone. What you need to do to prepare really just depends on what areas you’re struggling in and why. I’d suspect you probably need some combination of returning to the curriculum, fool proofing games, and more effective blind review.
  • Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    651 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" @Mookittyy @MrSamIam, as of not my logic games i am getting 3 wrong, my LR I am getting between 7- 9 wrong in each section and my reading comp I am getting 5-9 wrong.
    651 karma
    The problem is I have been studying since last summer took a break for a month and continued to study and I am feeling very discouraged
    27821 karma
    Yeah, this can be a very discouraging process. Breakthroughs are rare and plateaus can seem to stretch for forever. But you are in very good company. A really important part of this process is being able to manage the discouragement. Because everyone feels it. It’s the ability to push through discouragement, not avoid it, which determines how far you can go. So hang in there. You can do this.

So I guess the next major piece of information for me is, how much do you improve on your BR? And what is your BR process?
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" pretty much covered it. Many of us have been studying since last summer. At this point, it's a matter of remaining focused and not letting this seemingly long process bring you down.
    That explains why you want to take the June test - you're tired and want to get it over with. If you're fine with a score that will likely be below 167, then by all means give it a shot in June. However, if you are determined to score within your target range (which you should be...you're more than capable of it) than you may be better off postponing.
    651 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I blind review with a friend and after blind review we get between in the 170's and occasional 180.
    edited April 2016 27821 karma
    So I’m definitely big on the idea of group BR. I think there’s a lot of potential for valuable learning. But for me personally, it’s a supplement. I think it should be done after each member of the group does it individually first. Getting to test day is really hard and we all need support to make it there, especially from our fellow LSATers. But once we get there, we are completely and utterly alone. So I definitely suggest shaking up your BR. BR with your friend, that’s a great learning opportunity, but only after you’ve been able to do it for yourself. I’d also recommend going back and rewatching all the videos on BR to make sure you’re really doing it right. I know for me I “BR’d" my diagnostic on a 4 X 6 index card! What!? Now it’s taking me about a dozen sheets of graph paper front and back. Knowing exactly what that process is supposed to look like can really help to make it more effective. The worst thing you can do is to cheat yourself out of your BRs, so just make sure you’re doing it right.

If you’re doing proper BR and still don’t start to see improvements, then it’s time to go back to the curriculum.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @Matthew524 said:
    I blind review with a friend and after blind review we get between in the 170's and occasional 180.
    Also to add on what @"Cant Get Right" rewatch the BR videos to make sure you are doing it right, your BR score is the answers you did not finish+the answered you circled and got right after review and before checking your answers.

Its awesome if you are BRing a 170s/180 using this method, but I dont want you having an actualy BR score of say, 164 thinking your BR is 171.

Remember a BR is the first step of review before you check answers and is a review of your uncircled answer choices. Really pay attention to those questions you thought you had right and missed, a lot can be gained from that during review. And that is not to say you cant review every question blindly if you so wish, but there is a difference between the two types of test review.