Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do with resume length?

Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
edited April 2016 in General 893 karma
Please, would like to see what suggestions from everyone would be on how to handle the resume length?

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    Normally you want to try and keep a resume to about a page I believe and only expand it further if you have things that definitely deserve adding. If you have that much I would try checking out a few different formats and that. But if you truly have things worth adding and it doesnt fit then go for more, but I would look into having someone in the business(spivey/peg cheng/etc.) check it out and offer their advice
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    One thing I’ve read that can be an exception to the resume length rule is for things like actors who should list their filmography. I think that would probably apply here for your publications.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I'm also pretty sure I've read there's an exception for people with extensive work experience and definitely for publications. I'd try to keep the resume itself to under 2 pages not including publications, which can go extra. People will likely glance at the publication pages and just go "oh, lots of papers/books" so it won't be exceedingly taxing on their attention.
    For trimming purposes, remember that you're not applying for a job in your field, so the accomplishments for each job can be shortened accordingly, especially if they involve a lot of field-specific jargon. And you can certainly leave out things like college jobs, if you have 20 years of an actual career behind you.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Chipster Study" said:
    I am over the limit by a minimum of several pages because I have been in a profession for quite awhile that requires lots of merit badges (including academic publications) to progress, which I have dutifully accumulated. Is it really a max of 2 pages with no exceptions??
    Mine was 3 as I had over 10 years of WE including many jobs in school.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @runiggyrun said:
    I'd try to keep the resume itself to under 2 pages not including publications, which can go extra.
    I also had publications to list but that was not a long section (<10 lines).
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    edited April 2016 893 karma
    Thanks.
  • Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
    453 karma
    OP: I believe if you keep the resume a page (snapshot of your education, WE, volunteer stuff, etc.) and have your accomplishments as part of a curriculum vitae you should be fine. I think some CV's can be up 8-10 pages. That is what they told us in my business writing course at least.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Check school apps as well some are very specific, 2 seems to be a preferred limit, but I noticed a fee said 2 -3 based on work experience.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    I think the primary risk you are running with a long resume is giving the impression that you are mired in self-importance. Lots of people have impressive accomplishments, but a resume is a snapshot. So try to be ruthless with what you cut. Include the most important things that are indicative of your professional achievements overall, even if you don't list all of the impressive things you have done.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    @"Chipster Study" said:
    unicorn
    You’re going to have some existential problems here. Honestly though, I’m not even sure it’s fair to make a judgement at all as to if they exist or not. Sure, they don’t exist on Earth, but I think it’s really Geocentric to then conclude that that means they don’t exist. We can’t prove they exist therefore they don’t exist. That sound familiar? It should because it’s a classical logical fallacy.
    I believe.
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    edited April 2016 893 karma
    Thanks for the thoughts.