Very spesific rule for In/Out Game with sub-category

Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
edited April 2016 in Logic Games 2098 karma
I am currently going through the LG bundle and I have a difficult time solving In/Out games with subcategory under time pressure. During BR I noticed in several of these games when one of the subcategories (let's call it category X ) get fulled only by putting one item in, there is reoccurring inference. The inference is, any two item from any categories that have different items of category X as their necessary condition are in a either/or relationship.

This is probably obvious to you but could you please correct me if I am wrong? Do you think having such rules might help on the actual test?

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2016 2481 karma
    Let me see if I understood this correctly.
    You have Ax, Bx, Cx and Dy, Ey and Fy.
    Only one x can be "in".
    You also have
    Dy-->Ax
    Ey-->Bx.

You are asking if it's correct that
    Ey-->/Dy
    -------------------------------------
    Yes.
    Because you can write the fact that only one x is allowed as
    Ax-->/Bx
    Ax-->/Cx
    Bx-->/Cx

Linking these (or their contrapositives) with the original premises you get:
    Ey-->Bx-->/Ax-->/Dy
    --------------------------------------------------
    That is actually a pretty advanced inference to make, so I think you're doing better than you might assume. This is exactly what the FoolProof is supposed to do, keep doing what you're doing!
  • Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2098 karma
    @runiggyrun Thanks for super fast comment and writing it out so clearly. This is exactly what I meant and thanks to you it is much more clear to me :)
  • Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    4300 karma

I've definitely seen games like this before but can't think of any off the top of my head. Does anyone have suggestions for which In/Out game you could practice this inference?