PT7.S3.Q07 - the labor force is often

taylor_michelletaylor_michelle Alum Member
edited June 2016 in Reading Comprehension 79 karma
I'm so lost on this question. It asks which statement would most appropriately continue the discussion at the end of the passage. I ruled out A, because of tone, and selected E. However, apparently A is the right answer. Is anyone able to explain why? I knew the question was a little sketchy, and circled it for my blind review, but I still couldn't find the right answer. Thanks friends!

Comments

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    I missed this question as well... Hopefully the RC gurus can give a better explanation but I am going to give it a shot:)
    On BR, the QStem asks to "continue" the discussion in last paragraph...
    Reading the first few words of each AC choice, BCD are out for too strong of a shift from Authors narrative.
    E is drawing a conclusion for the entire passage which is not asked in the QStem.
    A - from line 64 - Indeed, as long as the labor force, etc - women will suffer - which would lead to the men continuing to have opportunities in the labor market.
    Hope this helps:)
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I think E is overreaching, both for the paragraph and for the passage as a whole. There's no suggestion anywhere that the gap is widening - just that it exists.
    Looking at the wording of the last phrase, A would fit quite nicely with both the tone and the structure "Indeed, as long as the labor market remains hostile to parents [...], women will be seriously disadvantaged in that labor market. At the same time, most men will remain better able to enjoy the career and salary opportunities [...]"
    Adding A at the end sets up a nice contradiction - it will keep on being bad for women, but better for men. Additionaly, it doesn't introduce any extraneous ideas,like widening disparities, just talks about the current ones continuing unless something changes.
  • Matt DareMatt Dare Alum Member
    53 karma
    My two cents: B, C, and D are easy culls. The passage is written around the plight of working parents and focused particularly on the plight of working mothers. E makes a shift to "institutions" that doesn't match the content and message of the passage (as noted above by others). Additionally, the "widen the gap" phrase was a red flag for me. Looking at my notes on this one I wasn't in love with A but it was the lone survivor. During review, I concluded what those above have concluded, it was clear that the content of A: "most men," meaning those working men who don't have childcare responsibilities are in the best position.
  • taylor_michelletaylor_michelle Alum Member
    79 karma
    You guys are the best. Thank you!! That makes so much more sense. I agree now that E was over-reaching by speaking about institutions, which isn't mentioned anywhere in the paragraph, as well as a widening disparity, which also wasn't mentioned anywhere. I now know what to look for on similar questions in the future. Thanks again!