Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Struggling heavily with LG timing... Normal for new students?

Wind-Up BirdWind-Up Bird Alum Member
in Logic Games 284 karma
Hi!

I'm halfway through the grouping game problem sets, and my timing for these sets have been pretty abysmal. On average, I've consistently taken about twice as much time as J.Y's target times. At worst, I also find myself missing a few questions if I fail to divide up the game board when appropriate and/or getting bogged down with digesting the rules and inferences.

I was wondering if other test-takers also experienced the same kinds of timing issues when they began studying LGs, and if these difficulties eventually went away with more practice and the "foolproof method".

I understand that, if I was absolutely nailing these LGs under target time with 100% accuracy, there'd be no need to study. However, if taking twice as much time as the target time is unusual, then I probably need to slow my studying down and reevaluate.

Thanks.

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Yep you are ok! It takes time to learn all of the proper steps, dont worry about time too much yet. You need to just focus on the process and as you learn that, the better and faster you will become!
  • 13jkf13jkf Member
    23 karma
    Take it slow and review the process! It's all about building on a solid foundation - go into each game set with the goal of proper diagramming. The timing will eventually follow :)
  • Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
    1018 karma
    The LG section is foreign to most test takers, so you're not alone. Definitely take the time to make sure your diagramming skills are on point. You don't want to try games like the infamous dinosaur game until you have a solid grasp on the LG section. Once you master diagramming, the Fool Proof Method will be your best friend. It can be a tedious process, but if you put in the work you'll start making those inferences quicker.

Keep track of your progress! There's an awesome thread on how you can do this: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    edited June 2016 2573 karma
    @KafkaByTheSea The Fool Proof Method works my nerves at times but it's worth it in the end. The LG are pretty much repetition. You may do the same game 10x but the chances are likely that you won't continue to miss the same question and you'll start to notice you're doing the same games over and over with just different "players". I agree to a previous poster re time. Don't stress over it but do not do anything untimed. Just run a timer to see how long it's taking you to finish and strive to continue to decrease that time. Eventually you want to be able to finish with 100% accuracy within the suggested time. Just from experience I wouldn't advise doing much without some sort of timing. It absolutely killed me. I could complete an entire LG section with 100% accuracy but I wasn't always within the 35 mins. At the end of the day that's all that matters. Don't pick up that bad habit. It's so hard to break. I'm still struggling and have to almost wake myself up halfway into a game and remember that I'm timing myself. It's very easy for me to get lazy with LG. You're on the right path. Just keep swimming...
  • Wind-Up BirdWind-Up Bird Alum Member
    284 karma
    Thank you for all the valuable and encouraging input!