Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With unlimited LSAT retakes, new strategy for when to take the LSAT?

GrecoRomanGrecoRoman Alum Member
in General 140 karma

I'm signed up for the LSAT on June 12th and I feel about 90% of where I want to be but not quite ready to where I'd be willing to burn a test prior to the changes. Now that I don't have to worry about test limits, maybe I should just take it and hope for the best. Do you think schools will still take your highest score or maybe now with the changes they will start averaging since people may be incentivized to take as many tests as possible since there aren't yet any downsides.

Comments

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2017 1917 karma

If you feel close, I would go ahead and take it. September will be waiting for you if you need it.

It's about the ABA only wanting the highest score. I think if you had 5-6 takes on your record then that would be different. But 2 or 3 is fine.

All that said, you are likely to score within a few points of your practice tests, so if your practice tests are not reaching your goal score, then you're probably not going to get that score on test day. If that's the case, it might not be worth it to take it either way.

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

Do it. GL!

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I think my previous post was admin edited for posting a link (sorry for not fully understanding forum rules), but just do a quick google of "do multiple lsat takes matter" and you will see that they absolutely do not. Schools only consider the highest score.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2017 4141 karma

I think you'll be fine with 3 scores or less. I'm not willing to say one should exceed that number because we don't have info on how adcoms could respond in light of lsac's recent change. I haven't seen anything that indicates that admissions offices have also changed their expectations.

Regarding how your scores will count, it's still in most school's interest to count your highest score. For now, I wouldn't worry too much about adcoms averaging scores for most schools.