Reading answer choices E - A

AlenaLSATAlenaLSAT Alum Member
edited May 2014 in General 182 karma
I have tried reading answer choices E through A and think this method has helped me improve on LR. First of all, most of the time, the trap answer choice precede the correct answer choice, since the test makers know that people normally read A- E. Also, a lot of difficult questions, where you hardly understand the stimulus, will also have the correct answer choice somewhere towards the bottom to make sure you slow down. Has anyone else tried this and found it helpful?

Comments

• mhhanesmhhanes Alum Member
    8 karma
    I have tried this! Sometimes I think it helps then sometimes I think it starts to mess with my head more... Then the LSAT induced-psychological-warfare begins. So I guess I can't really say whether or not it helps me. IF I felt more confident in my answer choices, I think it would help - but one thing I've found is that no matter what I do, I MUST keep doing it the same way. So I say if this works, go for it but make sure you continue to stick to the new habit. Good LUCK!
  • ikethelsatikethelsat Alum Member
    193 karma
    The distributions of answer choices are random. I know some people say that the hard questions have correct answers located in certain places, but it's a completely unreliable at best, and at worst just not true. If you think going E-A helps then by all means go for it, but ultimately people who cannot distinguish between traps and correct answers will still likely encounter the same problems going E-A as they would A-E. I wouldn't put thoughts like that in your head - you'll end up second guessing a correct answer based on where you think traps will be, whereas if you purely focus on figuring them out logically, you can't be led astray.
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    You can do whatever makes you more comfortable, but ike is right on in his assessment. I just wanted to add that if you're looking to tricks like this to improve your score, your head is in entirely the wrong place.
  • AlenaLSATAlenaLSAT Alum Member
    182 karma
    Jonathan, I would do ANY tricks to improve my score, even doing PTs standing upside down :)) This method just really helps me with the trap answer choices. If I read a trap answer choice first, then my judgement becomes biased, and I cannot see the correct answer. I have noticed, that most of the time the trap answer choice is above the correct answer choice, so it helps to read the correct answer choice first to somewhat cushion the impact of the trap.