PT36.S3.Q12 - vague laws set vague limits on people's freedom

Giant PandaGiant Panda Alum Member
edited July 2016 in General 274 karma
Hi team,

I check up on method. brain messed up by the logical diagrams in answer choices. Question is here: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-36-section-3-question-12/

So I have a problem with this question between answer choice A & B.

Answer A gives the contrapostive of the missing link. But B is the "exact" phrasing, with this "might" phrase attach in it.

So can I make this general rule that: When question of such where logic diagram is heavily involved, when confused, go for the strong wording and avoid the tempting answer choice "some, might, may..." although the phrasing is exactly the same.

Thanks,

Panda

Comments

• SamiSami Yearly + Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited July 2016 10801 karma
    I think it depends on the requirement of the conclusion. The conclusion says "cannot" which is solid 100%. Answer choice B, which says "might not", falls short of our job to find another premise which will give us the same scope needed, the cannot, which is almost 100%.

So I am not sure about the general rule of avoiding some, might, may. I think what really does help is to just see what scope is needed to make our conclusion 100% true. If our conclusion says "they cannot feel secure", then any answer choice which only guarantees less than "cannot", by only stating "might" falls short of guaranteeing our conclusion of "cannot feel secure".