Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D.C. Law School Fair

Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
edited July 2016 in General 893 karma
The Georgetown and Michigan tables were by far the busiest. By far.

Comments

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    I signed up for the Chicago one in November, but I'm on the fence about going. How many schools were there? Was it useful? I called the LSAC about the forums, but the guy on the phone didn't know anything about them.
  • hadikhan75hadikhan75 Member
    41 karma
    Theyre helpful if you bring a set of questions to ask the school reps about their admissions, programs etc. Would help to also do some research on the schools you want to speak to before going. A lot of kids will make the mistake of walking in there just to say hey to schools and ask what their best program is wasting a valuable moment to ask specific questions which they might not easily get emailing or contacting the school.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    Great opportunity to meet AdComm members and get someone's business card (for follow up emails etc.).
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    @"Accounts Playable" I attended the DC law school forum this past Saturday and I honestly found it incredibly informative. I believe there were over 100 schools there. I went into the whole thing with a list of 15 schools I am interested in with very specific questions for each school. A lot of the schools will have 2 or 3Ls at the table, and I found it interesting to talk to them and get their take on the school and share their personal experience with me.
    I even stopped and talked to schools that I had no real interest in until I've had a conversation with their representatives. I think I have 2-3 additional schools now that I can add to my application pool, and I have like 2 that I thought I'd like, but ended up not having a good feeling after talking to the reps.
    I think you'll find it a very valuable experience. Plus, it's free!
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    edited July 2016 893 karma
    I found it helpful, actually. First off, with one exception, all the tables were really friendly and nice. The T14 were all there, except no one from Harvard and only 1Ls from Yale (no Yale staff members.) Every single admissions staff member I talked to said that it is not true that admissions is a strict numbers game. Narrative, softs, diversity, and commitment to the school do count. I had two head admission Deans from the T6 tell me that when I am on campus to make an appointment to see them specifically and I don't even have an LSAT score yet. It was a little surprising to me because I am way outside the typical student without belonging to any of the formal categories (being white, middleclass, straight, etc.) that need to be recruited.

It was funny because the T14 people were almost friendlier and more encouraging than the lower-ranked schools. I got some business cards, some encouragement, and a road map from an associate admissions Dean from a lower T14 on what to do exactly to improve my chances. For me, it was worth a day's investment in time, travel costs, etc.