Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BR and Recalling Answers

dreamvilledreamville Member
edited July 2016 in General 99 karma
During LG BR, I'm often reinforcing the methods and memorizing game/rule inferences. This has helped a lot. But once you get to the 4th or 5th time of drilling the same game how do you guard against simply remembering the correct answer and actually taking yourself through the inference method as if it were the first time. I think it's important to continue seeing inferences and not letting yourself skip to the correct answer because of the repetition of seeing the game.

Any thoughts on this? Feel free to share how you approach this. Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2016 23929 karma
    @dreamville So I think what you're talking about happening is actually a good things and part of why the fool-proof method for LG/BR'ing works so well with learning and mastering the LG section.

If I understand what you're asking, you are basically wondering how to not remember the correct questions while still practicing the inferences...Is that right?

That is a good question actually and I have experienced the same issue with LG. Basically I just follow the process and sort of realize that getting the correct answer is only half the goal when reviewing LG. You really want to focus on memorizing the inferences with the fool-proof method and make sure your set up is flawless. If you're doing them below time, going -0, and overall feel like you own the game, then it is ok to move on to a new game.

Then what I like to do is come back to it in maybe 3-5 days, even a week in some cases, and try it again. I find that the better I get at the same logic games, the easier it is for me to kick butt on new ones. You really start to see that most games are just the set ups and inferences you memorized ad nauseam on previous games with different entities.

I sometimes find myself doing a completely new game and feeling a deep sense of deja vu that comes from doing so many games just like it. It really helps me stay engaged and remain confident when attacking the question, which has helped me immensely. This time 2 months ago I was getting like -20 on a LG section. I now average around -5 or so.

In sum, I think if you feel like you've memorized the inferences and can solve it within JY's recommended time, you are good to move on to a new game. Assuming you feel like you "own it" as the fool-proof method suggests.

Otherwise, if you memory is so sharp (which is a great quality for the LSAT RC) that you are literally remembering the answers before you master the game, then just try to ignore it. Work out every problem as if you didn't know the answer. I know that is easier said than done, but it is possible. Sometimes I even cover up the answers and see if I can solve certain questions without the choices So if the question asks "If X on Monday what is a complete an accurate list of what can go on Wednesday?" I will just cover the A/Cs and solve it myself.... At least it works for some of the questions. Other will of course be CBF or MBT's where you need the choices. In those cases just solve it like you would if you didn't know the answer.