Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's wrong with me?

red416416red416416 Free Trial Member
So regardless if I take a timed or untimed test, I only get half of the logical reasoning questions right. The first 10-12 I get right and then it goes downhill. Does this mean that my foundation and understanding for logical reasoning is not good enough? Problem is I feel confident about a lot of my answers :/. Please help me in how I can improve my poor logical reasoning scores!

Comments

• Zachary CarpenterZachary Carpenter Alum Member
    77 karma
    @red416416 said:
    Does this mean that my foundation and understanding for logical reasoning is not good enough?
    Most likely, yes.

And that's awesome. Here's why: you can improve. Really make sure you are mastering each lesson before moving on to the next. Perhaps start taking untimed test and writing down why each of the four answers you didn't pick aren't right. This will let you go back when you're done and see where you messed up.

Nothing is wrong with YOU. You can improve. The test is hard. This site wouldn't exist if it wasn't. Study hard and kick the LSAT's ass.
  • red416416red416416 Free Trial Member
    edited July 2016 82 karma
    Thank you Zachary, your encouragement helps because I've been feeling really upset with myself whenever I attempt logical reasoning. Best of luck in your studies!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @red416416

I 100% promise you that nothing is wrong with you if you are having a bit of a bumpy start to logical reasoning. I also had a really rough start to LR and was missed about -10 on each section of my diagnostic. So I totally get how much is sucks...

It probably does mean that you need a bit more work on the fundamentals, that is all. So no need to worry. Find a good resource in which you can review all the logical reasoning types in earnest and build yourself a solid base of knowledge. My favorite thing about LR is that once I really learn a question type, I feel like it is ingrained in my mind forever. Whereas with LG/RC I get rusty without content practice.

What prep material/course are you currently using? Also, how long have you been working on LR? This may help me guide you in the right direction as to what your next move should be.

• combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    I know that some people will disagree but Power Score's Logical Reasoning Bible has done wonders for me. I started off -10 and now, I am consistently around -4. This change has come from a month of using the bible and I still have 2 months until test day, anything is possible!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @combsni I think the LR Bible is pretty good myself. I haven't read it in its entirety, but I think I may check it out a bit as time goes on. It kind of reminds me of JY's approach for LR in book form for some of the questions. I just really love seeing the videos and the real-time approach to them that you can't get from the book.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    @"Alex Divine" it's certainly worth it. Practice is still the best way to improve but just having a firm understanding makes it a lot easier. The negation technique for Assumption questions is a technique that everyone can benefit from. It essentially changes assumption questions and makes them weaken questions. Overall, their techniques are straight forward and don't require much time while doing questions
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    You just need to brush up on fundamentals and do some solid BR, after some time I can almost guarantee you'll be improving. I had a phase of being confident in my answers only to see I got them incorrect and this is mainly due to not understanding the logic behind the questions. The simple resolve to this is to go back and review. Take as much time as you need with fundamentals, do not move on until you understand the material 100%. Many people rush into taking PTs before truly learning the CC and the detriment this carries to your study routine is practically suicidal. Don't sweat it and don't think something is wrong with you. The LSAT is a sack of shit that will challenge the hell out of all of us. We just have to know how to take it down.
    82 karma
    Thanks for all the support guys, I really appreciate your feedback, it keeps me going even though I'm sick and tired of LSATing.

@"Alex Divine" I took a course (HarvardReady - I live in Canada) from March to May (which consisted of 100 hours of instruction) but did only 50% of the assigned homework since I was in university full time. I stopped studying after May because of my full time work schedule, but I restarted in July. I have been doing about15-20 hours a week, which I know is not enough considering I'm taking the September LSAT. My diagnostic in March was an embarrasing 140; in July it was a sad 147 (thanks to my lack of doing homework and working and studying full time year round). With my revamped study schedule (studying for at least 25 hours a week) and using the Powerscore books, I'm aiming for a 160. I should add, my 147 consisted of me missing 10-12 questions per section.

Do you think this is reasonable?13 points in less than 2 months might seem significant, however I know I have the skills and foundations somewhere in my head and now I just need to keep practicing and refining them. Thank you for your help.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @red416416 I'm inclined to think that maybe the powerscore books just aren't working out for you. Your situation reminds me plenty of my own when I was only using PS. I say give it one more shot with this method and if you aren't seeing improvement then you need to find an alternative method and do not take the Sept LSAT. Many folks on here, including myself, are former powerscore students and have vouched that 7ssge helped with the understanding that powerscore simply couldn't provide. Not to mention, LR is one of the stronger aspects of 7sage core curriculum :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    @red416416 said:
    Does this mean that my foundation and understanding for logical reasoning is not good enough?
    That’s exactly what it means. I know I’m going to be repeating a lot of what others have said (except recommending Powerscore, lol. I will definitely not be doing that.), but I’m going to jump in on this anyway.

First, this is definitely a good thing. If you really did have a solid foundation for LR and were still scoring -10 or more, then that would mean the test is random and can’t be improved on. That’s not the case. If you’re consistently scoring -10, that is an accurate reflection of your level of understanding.

Second, you need to stop taking PTs and return to the basics. There is a finite number of tests, and you can only take a test fresh the first time. There’s a lot of value in retakes, but there is definitely diminishing returns. So go back to the basics, nail down your fundamentals, and save your tests for when you’re ready.

Third, and most importantly, if your only resource has been the Powerscore books, I’d highly recommend getting the Trainer or, even better, a 7Sage starter. Powerscore is great for teaching you little tricks with clever, trademarked names; but that’s really all you're going to get. The bibles don’t teach the deep level of understanding that the LSAT is designed to test. I too am a former Powerscore student, and there’s just only so far it can take you.

Fourth, to say that 13 points in less than 2 months is significant is an understatement. 13 points is an astronomical leap in understanding and ability. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it’s about as close to it as it gets. Commit to your score, not to your test date. If you’re serious about breaking into the 160’s you really need to withdraw from the September test date.

Best of luck!
  • leejayleeleejaylee Alum Member
    218 karma
    There's a difference between being confident in your answers, reading answer choices incorrectly, or not understanding the stimulus. This is what I believe Blind Review is for. If given an UNLIMITED time, it should be100% of the case that you get the question right. Tear the stimulus apart. Don't cross out an answer choice till you're 100% sure that isn't it. Logical Reasoning is a damn pain. It's 50% of the LSAT for a reason. There are some questions where, even after BR, I'm like: "Man, Really? LSAT you got me there."

First, figure out why you aren't getting your LR questions correct. For some people, it's not understanding the stimulus (lack of concentration, hard vocabulary, or whatever the reason may be). For others, it may be difficulties in understanding the answer choices.

LSAT is a mental test. I've realized, if I zone out for one bit, I can get a question wrong. I come back after BR and go, why did I even choose that answer choice (obviously timing plays a part).

Like many other have said: LSAT is a marathon. Focus on turning that -10 into a -9 then -8 then -7, etc. Don't try to go from point A to Z without going through all the other letters in the alphabet. First step to getting better in LR is understanding your mistakes. Figure out why you're getting things wrong. Second step is to learn from your mistakes and improve your understanding of basic question types. Third step is to execute during timed sections. Everyone has a problem with this. If this wasn't a problem, everyone would do well on the LSAT (relatively and probably).

Be motivated, stay strong, we're all in the same position (as in we all have our weaknesses and strengths). Don't give up, find the root of your problem and move from there step by step. I know you can do it! If you don't understand why you got a question wrong, you can always post in the comments and the people who were once in your position may help you understand it much better. =)
    82 karma
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate your feedback. I'll definitely do the things you mentioned and just keep pushing.

Well, best of luck on your studies and thanks again :)
  • aubaidabbasi25aubaidabbasi25 Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    I need guidance and study partner for LSAT
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2016 23929 karma
    Hey @aubaidabbasi25 I'll help you out and be your study partner! What do you need guidance with specifically?
  • 19 karma
    I recently scored a 160 on the June LSAT. I missed 8 on one LR and 10 on the other (which was more than my practice tests!). But I did get a -4 on RC (it was the last section so maybe the fatigue made me less self concious?!) and -6 on Logic Games.

I actually found the lessons on here about LR to be really helpful, but I read the LSAT Trainer prior to taking the course. I really liked that book and the study schedule that went along with it! Best of luck!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @hannahwrendunning Awesome! I love the LR lessons on here too. Seeing how JY solves them in real time has been extremely helpful to my mental process when I attack questions.

I also really love The LSAT Trainer. I think like 7Sage it works by teaching you how to think about the test. A lot of other books tend to just give you tips and tricks without a comprehensive approach.

So what is your next step? Applying this year?
  • 19 karma
    @"Alex Divine" , I'll take the LSAT in September and then apply this year to some local schools in the DC area. So many balls in the air! Are you in a similar boat?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @hannahwrendunning Only take if you feel you'll be ready! You don't want to rush the most important part of your applications! And yes, many balls in the air. The entire process can be so stressful. I am going to work on getting my letters of rec soon, and my personal statement all edited. Then I will just need an awesome LSAT score!

I'm not sure when I'm applying yet, but hopefully sometime next year. I really want to make sure I kill this LSAT, and I am pretty sure that is going to take 6-9 months of proper prep. So I'm hoping to apply next cycle :D

• 19 karma
    I wish I had the extra time, and I may if this doesn't work out, but our family's plan involves taking it this September and then applying right away. I just got a job so it's going to be pretty crazy! Best of luck with your studies. It sounds like you are doing it the right way!