Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Palomino Blackwing Pencil Sharpener

SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
in General 10774 karma
I honestly have been thinking about writing a review about how amazing this pencil sharpener really is. But I was hesitant to do so. But I have been so happy with it that I had to share this with you all. Maybe someone will find this useful and make that change.

The History: For the past three months, I have been using only pencil to study for LSAT. This is because I want to get into the habit of working with them. I was a full believer in buying the 46 cents pencil-sharpener from Walmart. I hate wasting money on stupid things, and I definitely believed a pencil sharpener at the end of the day was just a pencil sharpener. The result: I hated sharpening pencils! They would often break, get stuck in the sharpener, and I literally had to buy a pack of 12 pencils per two weeks with a new sharpener because I think it stopped working as well as it did the first couple of days. It was so frustrating! Sometimes, that pencil sharpener would actually split my pencil in halves!!!!!!!! So, one day, while I was watching one of Nicole's video's one youtube, I think for reading comprehension, and she mentioned the Blackwing Palomino sharpener. I looked it up on amazon...$12 bucks!!!! I know in the scope of things its not much, but to me it seemed a bit excessive for just a pencil sharpener. So I basically continued trying to work and be frustrated with my cheapest Walmart sharpener. But one night, I realized enough was enough and I just put my values of being cheap on sharpener's aside and just bought it. :)

The Result 1 Month Later: It's honestly one of the most amazing pencil sharpener's that I have come across. Lets start with the fact that it has yet to break ANY of my pencils, lead or the whole pencil, while sharpening! Also, the pencil is sharpened to a perfect pointy way which makes writing with it, especially when doing games where you want you pencils to write crisply so your boards look neat and clean, so much more a reality. I have yet to buy another sharpener or another PENCIL PACK! It's so efficient in sharpening that I barely have to sharpen often and because it doesn't break my pencil's lead, I don't have to go buy as many pencils which in the end have saved me much more money than I did with the 46 cents Walmart sharpener.

Verdict: BUY IT!!!! lol I don't think I would buy it later in life where I will not be using pencils as much but right now when I am working 6-10 hours a day with a pencil, a good sharpener makes a difference! Plus one less thing that's frustrating me while I am studying for a very frustrating test. :)

Also, If you guys have any other cool suggestions please let me know :)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Great review, @Motivated ! I also saw Nicole's webinar and got this sharpener along with some Staedtler Noricas about 2 weeks ago. I also really like this sharpener because it makes the points a lot longer without making them so pointy that they are prone to snapping.

My only suggestion is the Noricas if you don't already use them. I got 72 (2x36 packs) for under 15 bucks at Staples.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Does it fit the tricons or no? If not I got some wopexes.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    ooooh Thank you @"Alex Divine" . I havn't yet but I will definitely give these pencils a try. I have realized pencils and sharpener make soo much of a difference in our study :) :) Thank you.
    10774 karma
    @nanchito I looked them up, it's hard to tell from the pictures but I think it would. I currently use the regular "#2 America's Pencil" from Walmart/Target. So if they are standard size, it will. Also, it seems that the sharpener is not a snug fit on my pencil, so a slightly larger pencil might be able to fit in.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @nanchito I don't think it will fit a Tri-con. I think I actually have one around my apartment somewhere so I'll try it out. How do you like the Wopexes?
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Sounds like a great sharpener. One of the things that annoyed me most was having to use 2 different sharpeners while PTing. One to "sharpen" the pencil, and the other to give it that nice point.
    1762 karma
    @Motivated sometimes tricons are weird and don't fit in some sharpeners but they fit in this one http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/591215/tug-2-Hole-Manual-Pencil-Sharpener/, so who knows. I bet the wopexes fit they're pretty standard size.

@"Alex Divine" ok, let me know. They're growing on me. They write really smooth.
    edited August 2016 10774 karma
    @MrSamIam Funny. The Palamino sharpener actually has two pencil sharpener's inside it. One to sharpen the pencil the other to make it pointy! So, it had the same idea you did but made it into one sharpener :DDDD
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27828 karma
    Yeah, it’s a great sharpener until you stab yourself with a pencil you just sharpened with one! Holy shit did it hurt, so just be careful out there kids! And definitely give the Noricas a shot. I’m back and forth between those and Wopex. The Wopex is super heavy and substantial. The Norica has a lighter weight, but can’t beat the lead quality.
  • peteyj42peteyj42 Free Trial Member
    67 karma
    Do you guys actually sharpen your pencils during a test or just have like 8 pencils ready to go? I would assume the latter but I know one person recommends 5-15 second breaks during a test to center oneself so I was wondering if this could serve as a zen moment. Also I have basically been using whatever leftover pencils I found from my college days. Does anyone feel more confident with a particular pencil, simulating something similar to the white lab coat effect?
    10774 karma
    I don't know about sharpening my pencils during my zen moment; I find doing anything else other than closing my eyes and just breathing breaks my zen moment. Also, for me I need to just breathe and not think about anything during my zen because my brain in a way feels heavy from doing the three sections, and just closing my eyes and breathing helps to make it feel light again and ready for another section. I don't know how else to explain that feeling. Plus, I think it might stress me more to sharpen my pencils because I like it to be a certain way and doing in a break might stress me. I also have a routine the night before a PT. The day before the test I make sure all my pencils are sharpened and in my pencil pouch, my PT and scantron are ready and in my bag, as well as the clothes and the food I am going to eat for breakfast and snack is set aside. I have a checklist for things to do the day before. I find doing minimum stuff on the day of the PT to be very helpful.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Don't sharpen during the test and instead sharpen during break. So yes bring lots of freshly sharpened pencils @peteyj42 !
  • peteyj42peteyj42 Free Trial Member
    67 karma
    Hmm lots of good info here. I should be more mindful about how I approach test days. Thanks you guys! Oh what are these snacks that you eat on test day? I have just been eating a Lara and/or protein bar, but am open to suggestions.
    11542 karma
    @peteyj42 said:
    Oh what are these snacks that you eat on test day
    I believe there's a thread on this! people gave good tips
    10774 karma
    ooooh I like to drink some iced green tea with organic honey to give my brain a glucose boost without the bad sugar. For snack, I take with me half a chicken salad sandwich that I make. It has walnuts, chicken, celery, and cranberries. I never finish either of them. I just like to eat two bites and drink a bit of green tea. It just helps me feel refreshed.
    11542 karma
    Pretty much what @Motivated said!! Don't be too liberal with liquids on game day though, it's better to stay a tad dehydrated and rack up on hearty snacks with peanut butter and all that good stuff. Worse thing is having to go use the bathroom on your mind while you're trying to take the test!
    10774 karma
    haha yeah, I have had that happen to me. One time, instead of green tea I took some coconut water. And It made me feel so thirsty throughout the test even after I drank water, plus I ended up wanting to go to the bathroom in the middle of my 5th section because I had had so much water! So, yeah, definitely try out everything you plan to do on the test day; from food and drink, to exactly what you want to wear, I always wear this PJ and shirt for PT days. They are super comfy and soft. You don't want anything to surprise you.
    27828 karma
    I don’t do zen under time. When I’m taking the LSAT, I’m in Beast Mode and I have no interest in removing myself for even a second. I don’t even like the amount of time it takes for the proctor to stop one section and start the next. There will be plenty of time to breathe on the flip side.

I limit my liquids to an 8 oz cold matcha during the break. For snack I have a banana, protein bar, and trail mix.
    10774 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" lol that's definitely beast mode. I'll give that a go next time. I am so used to just closing my eyes and taking a deep breath during the 15 minutes break to clear my head and I do feel better that it makes me afraid to try. But I'll give that a go and see how it works. :)
    27828 karma
    Well the 15 minute break is different @Motivated . I definitely take that time to chill and recharge. But only because they force me to! But when I’m in the actual test I go to a very intense mental place, and it’s not a place I can go in and out of casually. I’m talking about 5 - 15 second pauses during a section. That is hugely disruptive for me.

And @peteyj42 , the Palomino Blackwing pencil which this sharpener was specifically designed for is considered something of a classic for sure. It’s highly regarded by pencil enthusiasts everywhere, so that might be one to try for the white coat effect.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @Motivated Hence why I ordered one last night :)
    10774 karma
    @MrSamIam <3 <3 <3 Yaaay. I am so glad then that I made that long post. I am sure you'll love it.

P.S. After all that writing and reviewing yesterday, I realized I left my Palamino sharpener at home today! lol! Had to dig out my old Walmart sharpener from bag! It was terrible. I can't believe I ever used this thing everyday.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @nanchito said:
    Does it fit the tricons or no? If not I got some wopexes.
    I just tried and it does not fit them :(

I think it will fit the Wopexes. I was thinking about picking some of those up. How do you find them?
    27828 karma
    Actually, it’s not great for the Wopex. The Blackwing is designed for cedar pencils and doesn’t handle the heavy composite material of the Wopex very well. Wopex needs something a little more blunt force. The Staedtler Noris works really well for them.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Thank you for letting me know! I was thinking of trying the Wopex out and I guess I will need another sharpener if I do. That or a whittling knife. Do you like the Wopex better than the Norica?

I bought 2x 36 packs of Noricas a few weeks back and so far have used like half of one, so I would feel wasteful buying more pencils. I really recommend that anyone using the Noricas use the blacking sharpener because the actual point will last longer.
    27828 karma
    I think the Wopex is a lateral move from the Norica, so I really have no real preference between the two.
    1762 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Ahh shucks, thanks for checking. I'm going to stick to the wopexes and tricons with the clear tape around them to prevent the gunk. I still like the tricons because of the weight and point life. In a few months ill splurge on the blackwing and noricas.

Like @"Cant Get Right" said, the wopexes have a wood composite. The lead is kind of soft and I cant make it too pointy because it snaps. It writes.... smooth. I cant think of any other word besides smooth, and a tad bit lighter than tricons. I likey.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I think the Wopex is a lateral move from the Norica, so I really have no real preference between the two.
    That makes sense. I guess I will just stick the with noris then...I really love them and they seem to work really well for the LSAT. Part of me wants to splurge on the Blackwing 602s, but I'm not sure if it is worth it. Reviews I have read seem to say they are great for drawing more so than writing.

Have you tried them [Blackwings] at all?
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    Just placed an order. I used Mitsubishi 2B with no eraser.
  • nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma
    Ooo this is a great post Sami! I was searching for a good sharpener before I got a Staedler. I will definitely get what you recommended when the blade gets dull.