PT68.S4.G4 - an editor will edit seven articles

stcaitmokyustcaitmokyu Free Trial Member
edited August 2016 in Logic Games 68 karma
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-68-section-4-game-4/
I have a question about one of the rules...the rule says "S CAN be earlier than Q only if Q is third." I thought it is different from saying "S IS earlier than Q only if Q is third" so I thought S is not nec. to be earlier than Q or if we take the contrapositive of the rule, when Q is not third, we do not have to have Q-S.
But when I watched the video JY explained we actually treat it same as other rules that do not cantain CAN.
So we do not have to take it consideration? (the word "can")

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    Yeah, you are on the right track with your inquiry. Q in the third spot is the necessary condition for any variation of S-Q (which, from the onset really only works out to be two variations: S1-Q3 or S2-Q3). We then couple this with rule #1 and S2-Q3 is no longer a valid placement of the variables, leaving us with 1 valid way to have an S-Q arrangement: S1-Q3. It just so happens that we cannot have a valid world in which Q3 and Q-S. Given the first rule and the S-Y spacing.

The deeper level of your question is that when a necessary condition has been fulfilled, the sufficient condition can either happen or not.
  • stcaitmokyustcaitmokyu Free Trial Member
    68 karma
    Thanks,
    So..this is not true for MAY or others right?