Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mental Fatigue and Burnout Advice

TheLSATTheLSAT Member
in General 301 karma
Greetings everyone,
I have been studying for the LSAT since May 19th. I was studying an average of 6-8 hours a day the first two months of my Prep (rarely taking a break day). Every since mid-July, I have been studying an average of 5-7 hours a day. I have been consistently scoring in the high 160s with a couple 170s. However, in the past 10-14 days, I have been experiencing fatigue, and I believe it is very much affecting my score because during review I spot my mistakes easily. I was just taking Preptest 61, and even though I still managed to score a 167, I felt a very strong mental fog throughout the test. I really need good advice on how to overcome my fatigue and burnout, so I could regain my motivation and continue preparing for the September test.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"A. Mathews" said:
    (rarely taking a break day).
    @"A. Mathews" said:
    an average of 5-7 hours a day.
    @"A. Mathews" said:
    in the past 10-14 days, I have been experiencing fatigue, and I believe it is very much affecting my score because during review I spot my mistakes easily.
    @"A. Mathews" said:
    I felt a very strong mental fog throughout the test.
    @"A. Mathews" said:
    I really need good advice on how to overcome my fatigue and burnout, so I could regain my motivation and continue preparing for the September test.
    You my friend have a severe case of burnout! I think you need to take a week or so off from studying or thinking about the LSAT. You'll come back stronger than ever.
    11542 karma
    When you return to studying remember to always give yourself a break! You shouldn't be studying every day.
  • TheLSATTheLSAT Member
    301 karma
    Thank you @montaha.rizeq. Is it better to read during the week off or just spend it completely relaxing?
    11542 karma
    The latter for sure! @"A. Mathews"
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    To prevent burnout in the future (or minimize its likeliness), I think it's helpful to think about LSAT studying as skills you need to complete rather than hours of devotion. When we think about things as checklists, we become more efficient because if you can learn a skill in 1 hour instead of 2, that means you have more free time to do other things. When we think of LSAT studying as "x number of hours/day," we have less incentive to work efficiently because the goal isn't gaining skills as much as putting in hours. This can then lead to less effective studying and more time soft-studying, like going on reddit, 7sage, or TLS for LSAT tips.
  • dreamvilledreamville Member
    99 karma
    @blah170blah very well put! I've found it to be personally true. What checklists basically do is provide structure so you're not aimlessly studying.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    You my friend have a severe case of burnout! I think you need to take a week or so off from studying or thinking about the LSAT. You'll come back stronger than ever.
    Classic case of burnout. Prescribing you a week off from LSAT prep :)
  • Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
    453 karma
    @"A. Mathews" said:
    I felt a very strong mental fog
    I experienced similar burnout. One thing that really helps is healthy eating and a good workout routine. Good cardiovascular health and a mix a good proteins and whole grains in one's diet will help alleviate the burnout. But do take some time off and remember that the LSAT is a skills based test. You don't win the marathon by running a marathon everyday. By the time race day comes, you will be fatigued beyond capacity to run. Sometimes, all you need is 20 hours a week. And others, you might be able to crank out 40. Either way, listen to your body and do not over-study! At a certain point, the returns you get with studying begin to follow a negative trend (i.e. burnout happens and you feel and study time is not quality).

I know it's hard to fight the urge to study to the max, but, it's just not that type of test.
  • CenaBenaCenaBena Member
    138 karma
    I was the same way at first, and I started literally going crazy. I would lock myself in my house all day. It got to the point where if anyone said anything to me that wasn't perfect I'd cry - not good.

I found that in the middle of the day while I study I will go to the gym. Usually I'll do a Prep test in the am and then go the gym and then come home and go over it.

Definitely need to take some breaks!

Best of luck :)
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Normally I would suggest studying as much as possible, since the September administration is just around the corner. However, risking burnout is not an option, at least not this close to the test. Try taking a day or two off...maybe even 3.
    Do something relaxing, and don't think about the LSAT! Use your first day back to do some light drilling or reviewing, then, take a PT and BR it the next day. See if that helps.