Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice: For low scorers, repeat test takers, and those feeling discouraged and frustrated

justdoit-1justdoit-1 Alum Member
in General 57 karma

Hey Everyone. I just wanted to say how thankful I am that I discovered 7sage. I never could have imagined finding such a great community to learn from and a format that allowed me to go at my own pace and fit my personal study needs.

I just completed the December LSAT and I have to say it's hard to not think about the potential score! However, I wanted to share some thoughts with those that may be new to the community or have been studying recently. It is incredibly easy to get discouraged by such a daunting test. If you find yourself doubting your abilities, wondering if you should just pursue something else and have high levels of anxiety about the test- believe me, that's normal. The preparation for the test is a psychological battle with yourself. The only thing really standing in your way from doing YOUR BEST, is YOU. I wrote the LSAT 3 times. The first time, I did it on a whim to just get a feel for the test. Let's just say that if you go in scoring a 148, expect a 148. My second time, I did not do enough preparation. I figured that doing a couple of timed sections back to back or some studying here and there would make the difference in achieving a high 150. OH BOY LETS JUST SAY I WAS SUPER WRONG! I received another 148 on my second test and wow was I ever shocked and dejected. I couldn't believe it. I waited out the application process and nearly got into one law school but it didn't end up happening. I was at a cross roads, I had one last chance, I had failed now twice (even though the first one was really just to see what it was like) and I was wondering if I should just walk away from the test. I thought, I could always apply as a mature student and hopefully bump up my LSAT in the future. In the first week of September, I came across 7sage, I said to myself that I would rather give it MY ALL and fail then not even try.

For those of you feeling discouraged by unsuccessful previous attempts or a lack of success in studying, understand that if you put the TIME, EFFORT AND COMMITMENT you can improve. Before this saturday's test, I scored a 160 on the September LSAT. I never dreamed that I could do it because I had allowed myself to feel dejected and to think that I couldn't do it. Believe me, the test is not easy but you can improve. If you want to go to law school and that's your end goal, you need to give this test your all. It won't be easy, there will be times when you want to give up but if you put the time and effort in -NO HALF ASSING TRUST ME!!! you will improve and you will do YOUR BEST!

Some overall suggestions:
- if you drink coffee with SUGAR, give up the sugar because during the test you will crave that pick me up in the second half that will be hard to replicate (not to mention I found giving up sugar reduced my "brain fog")
- The earlier you start studying the better
- It is good to take days off- your brain needs a break
- If you can attempt the test once before you really need to take it, it would be good to try it so you get a feel for test day nerves, the pace, how you will react during the day, the night before etc...(you can just cancel your score and you will have gotten a true feeling for what it is like)
- Nutrition is important- fuel your body with brain stimulating food (fish, nuts, avocados, eggs etc...) The two weeks before the test I was religious about how I managed what I ate. I felt good, practiced well and ultimately felt very good on the test.
- As you lead up to test day, try to go to bed earlier, and force yourself to wake up around 8 am. This way you do get sleep (you want to be well rested but you don't want to be waking up at 11 am.)
- If you are weak in logic games, full proof as much as you can, do as many as possible. I started off with a --9 in LG and come test day I was about -4. It is a great way to increase your score. Don't be afraid to do 3 full sections and get them perfect, the first question of the last game and if no time is left fill in an arbitrary letter such as B for the rest of the answers. At this point you are assuring yourself of either 18 to 19 correct answers depending on how many question are allocated per game.
- A huge tip that I can't stress enough! IF you find yourself stuck between two answers on LR or RC, go with your gut. If you identify an answer and really like it but go looking for other answers and come across something that you feel you can't disprove, that's ok. Not being able to disprove it in that moment does NOT mean its right. Go with the first answer. Only "switch" your answer if you find a more comprehensive or better version of an answer.

If anyone has a question, wants some advice feel free to message. Just remember, 7sage is a community and we are here to help each other.

Good luck to those studying for Februarys Test.