PT27.S4.Q13 - historian: the ancient greeks failed to realize

Mr.lopezMr.lopez Member
edited August 2016 in Logical Reasoning 172 karma
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-27-section-4-question-13/

Admin: Edited out passage because it was word for word. Please paraphrase.

I wanted to ask if this is the breakdown. because in J.Y.'s video he says that where it states "so it is no less wrong to grant this power to society" is the conclusion, but i see that as the sub conclusion.

and I thought the main conclusion would be [The ancient Greeks failed to recognize that morally, democracy is no improvement over monarchy] ..... because then you say "why should i believe this" and the rest of the argument tells you why.

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2016 2481 karma
    I think you can say that the phrase about the Greeks is where the author is going with the argument. However, the "meat" of the argument is going to be over the distinction between an individual having the power to decide and a collection of individuals having the power to decide - so the flaw to be matched will be in the connection between the premise and the "subconclusion". All answers have some sort of intro sentence/overall conclusion, so they all match the original in that respect.
    I think it would be highly unusual for a "match the flaw" question to have two answers that match the huge, glaring flaw between the premise and the subconclusion perfectly and are distinguished by how well they match the connection between the subconclusion and the overall conclusion.
    I think that's why JY is identifying the "it is no less wrong" sentence as the conclusion - to let us know that this is where we need to focus our attention.

If this were a question about "what's the conclusion of this argument" I think you are right that the first sentence is trying to be the overall conclusion, but I have a feeling the connection would have been a bit tighter and more obvious (like "Greeks erroneously believed democracy was morally superior").
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    "democracy is No Improvement over monarchy" seems quite well to parallel "there is No Point in asking the club, yada yada".
    @runiggyrun said:
    I think that's why JY is identifying the "it is no less wrong" sentence as the conclusion - to let us know that this is where we need to focus our attention.
    I must agree here with
    @Mr.lopez said:
    i see that as the sub conclusion.
    I figured the first statement as the MC and it led me to the correct ac. I would like to hear @JY weigh in on this one.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma