Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One Month Left.. not doing good

fightingtilltheendfightingtilltheend Free Trial Member
edited August 2016 in General 84 karma
hey everyone, I have one month left and I am scoring between 146-155 which is extremely low. I have high GPA a (3.8) and good references and it is so frustrating that this one stupid test is getting in the way of my dream of law school. Do you have any tips on how I can improve. I have been studying for 2 months (10 hrs per week) I have now been studying 4-5 hrs per day.

If I could at least bump my score to 158 I know I would have a fighting chance with a good GPA. Right now RC is like 14-16 Arguments are :15 correct and Logic Games are my worst with about 14-16.

Any tips, I feel like I review my answers but when new test comes maybe its anxiety but its like I make the same mistakes.

Its starting to make me really depressed but I keep trying not to loose hope. Any suggestions will help.

Thanks,

Comments

• J. TharpJ. Tharp Alum Member
    575 karma
    Postpone! I'm right there with you, I've been studying 3-6 hours a day for over 4 months and am not reaching my goal score, so I have postponed until December. Did you complete the core curriculum before beginning to take full tests? Even if so, I would revisit it for a good while before taking any more full PT. It's disheartening to realize postponing is the best option, believe me. But, I feel much better knowing I have time to feel like I am prepared. I've head others say that the average of your past 5 PT scores is a good predictor of your score on test day. So, if you're not there, call to reschedule! I believe today or tomorrow is the last day to do so. After that, you can still cancel until the night before, but you do not receive a refund.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    < Arbitrary >@ Arbitrary. Arbitrary said:
    hey everyone, I have one month left and I am scoring between 146-155 which is extremely low. I have high GPA a (3.8) and good references and it is so frustrating that this one stupid test is getting in the way of my dream of law school

I was in the same boat about 6 weeks months ago. Then I decided to postpone and not let ANYTHING get in the way of my dream school. I have a similar GPA and really want a top school, and after my diagnostic of a 151 crushed. So get any test date out of your head and replace it with your score goal. If it is a 170 than that is all you need to be thinking about, working towards, and focusing on. If you do, the universe will conspire with you to help you achieve it. Arbitrary tests dates only get in the way of that and leave you stressed and working towards something that doesn't matter.

@sharon.wiltshire said:
    Do you have any tips on how I can improve. I have been studying for 2 months (10 hrs per week) I have now been studying 4-5 hrs per day.

Tips... Enough to write a long-long books. And when I am done with this journey to a 180 I hope to do exactly that, lol.

Follow the CC and be consistent. I find consistency is key. And once you keep going you will have a "come to jesus moment" where things click. Trust me! And above all, if you managed a 3.8, trust yourself that you CAN and you WILL do this!

If you need specific tips on LR, LG, RC, let me know what you are having trouble with and I can give you a more tailored and substantial answer.

You say LG is your worst. I recommend doing a LG intensive where you work on doing nothing but fool-proofing games for 3 weeks to a month. It works wonders and took me from missing -20 to about -3. Suddenly my worst section became my best and all the games felt like repeats as the inferences I memorized created a confidence and deja vu I cannot describe. Basically I felt like Bradley Cooper in Limitless after he took NZT-48, lol. I just GOT it... Also, don't be afraid to re-watch lessons. God knows sometimes it really clicks the second or even third time through.
    @sharon.wiltshire said:
    Its starting to make me really depressed but I keep trying not to loose hope. Any suggestions will help.

Don't lose hope or let it make you depressed. I have a 3.92 GPA and got a 2200 on the SAT. This test is the hardest thing I have ever done. And I majored in History and Philosophy so I understand arguments and logic (kind of, lol), and even then this test is a beast for me. And you would think being a history major my RC skills would b great, they aren't as far as this test goes.... But they are getting better.

It isn't an IQ test is the point. Disconnect it from your self worth. And never lose hope. 2 months isn't a long time to be studying anyways for this test. Give yourself all the time you need and I promise you can achieve a great score!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    For two months and not studying on 7Sage, you're actually doing pretty well.

You just don't have enough time. People study for this thing for years. Withdraw from September, stop taking PTs, and pick up a 7Sage Starter. Best decision you'll ever make.

What is your dream school? LSAT carries a little more weight than GPA, so just make sure you're not shorting yourself on LSAT with the expectation that your GPA will carry you through.
  • fightingtilltheendfightingtilltheend Free Trial Member
    84 karma
    Thank you guys for your encouragement! It really helps to know im not alone! I didnt know about 7sage unti a current law school student introduced me to it. Im only now navigating through it. However i did do another practice test today and scored 157! Maybe its uphill from here?! Lets hope! Will keep you all posted :)
  • fightingtilltheendfightingtilltheend Free Trial Member
    84 karma
    And my dream sxhol is dalhousie in noca scotia or osgoode law school in toronto! In canada they put heavy weighing on the lsat. However some schools like university of ottawa and windsor put higher weighhts on gpa
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    I feel your pain. Try the lg bible and lr bible. My diagnostic was a 147 4 months ago and right now I am sitting between 161-165 (with the exception of outliers in both directions) I am considering postponing as well but I know if I buckle down that I could reach even higher.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @fightingtilltheend With LG being your worst subject you should take advantage of the free explanations. They're golden, IMO. As stated above, start with the Starter Pkg and upgrade later if you'd like. There is a 2 week guarantee, so if you don't think it's right for you just talk to admin and they will assist. Best of luck! One last thing, don't let this test defeat you. You're the only one that truly knows your capabilities and I think your GPA says a lot. Just remember that this is a different beast. You have to learn the concepts and also how to take the test. Just relax. You got this!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" This is probably the best advice you're going to get regarding this matter (sorry, Josh, I think I've been quoting you all morning).
    Out of curiosity, what is your target school? My advice has always been not to bother registering for the LSAT until you've scored within your target range (target score, +-3) consistently - anywhere from 5-10 times.
    Go through the 7Sage core curriculum, start PTing and BRing, and work your way up from there.
    27822 karma
    All good Sam, haha. I'd be quoting you saying all the same things if you'd gotten on first!
  • teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    edited August 2016 774 karma
    I'm in a similar boat. My cold diagnostic was a 162, and I am nowhere near the end of the core curriculum. I really feel like I should be drilling practice tests at this point, but I don't want to waste them. I heard a Dec LSAT and hence a Dec application puts you in a worse position for law school acceptances. Any merit to this? My dream school is Georgetown, and I want to do a joint JD/Masters in Foreign Service. Your GPA blows mine out of the water. Mine is only a 3.3 (Russian kicked my butt), but I did Teach for America and Fulbright (hoping that counts for something). Got a masters through TFA and had a high GPA, but admittedly, those classes were WAAAYYY easier than my undergrad! I feel like I need to get 170+ to be competitive. Ugh. The final month is playing some wicked mind games with me.
    edited August 2016 27822 karma
    @teamteamvicster said:
    I really feel like I should be drilling practice tests at this point, but I don't want to waste them.
    Yeah, if you're taking in September you need to be way deep into the PT/BR study phase. At the same time, if you're not done with the curriculum, you've got no business wasting valuable PTs. You're in a bit of a paradox as far as taking in September goes. Now December on the other hand, no problem.
    @teamteamvicster said:
    I heard a Dec LSAT and hence a Dec application puts you in a worse position for law school acceptances. Any merit to this?
    Eh, yes and no. There is a slight advantage to applying earlier. That advantage is far outweighed, however, by your LSAT score. If you could choose to apply with a 168 in September or a 169 in December you should go with the December 169. Even a one point improvement shifts the benefits towards a later application. With your particular situation, it sounds to me like you can delay until December and not lose any sleep over wondering if it was the right call. It's as clear cut an LSAT decision as I've ever seen.
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    @fightingtilltheend I'm basically just going to repeat what most people said on here, but seriously - postpone!! I was LITERALLY in your EXACT situation for the December LSAT last year. I was scoring in your range and had been studying for a couple of months and was not getting close to my goal score. It freaked me out, made me depressed, and messed with my mental health pretty bad. Unfortunately I took the test, bombed it and had to start from ground zero. Do better than me. Don't waste a take.
    Now, a year later, I'm studying for the December LSAT again, am about to finish the core curriculum and should start PTing within the next week or two.

Honestly, don't stress yourself out too much. If you're not ready, you're just not ready. Accept that fact and move on. Don't set a date, but set a goal score for yourself and do everything humanly possible to reach that score.

You can do it!!!