PT77.S2.Q02 - anthropologist: one of the distinctive traits

Tina ChoTina Cho Free Trial Member
edited September 2016 in Logical Reasoning 442 karma
the stimulus it says "getting more calories" on the other hand D says "uses more calories" I thought the two are different things...why D strengthen the stimulus?
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-77-section-2-question-02/

Comments

• desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    A classic example of "flexibility" in english. In most contexts getting and using are different things but in the context of the body/brain getting more calories and using more calories they are the same.
  • Tina ChoTina Cho Free Trial Member
    edited September 2016 442 karma
    @desire2learn

But I think "get" is adding something, and "use" is deducting something...
    How can the two be the same?
    I thought in the stimulus it says "add more calories to the body from less food" not using more calories in body...
    1171 karma
    I see what you mean. Sorry, I did not pick up on what you were distinguishing between before. The brain gets more of the calories because the body is using less of them to process the food. Thus there are more available for the brain to get.
    442 karma
    @desire2learn
    Right, but isn't brain part of body?
    I'm sorry to bother by asking questions again and again, but I was confused when I see this question especially since it is Q2...very eary question and supposed to be easy one...
    edited September 2016 1171 karma
    Brain is part of the body in the general sense but after the body (which could include the brain) is done processing, there are now extra calories available so even more can go to the brain specifically "from less food" (or from the same amount) to allow it to grow bigger.
    442 karma
    @desire2learn
    Thanks for reply,
    so...is this common knowledge? or maybe I missed something? I thought body and brain use calories at the same time...and in fact when all calories from food is not consumed, the rest will become fat=increase weight right? (mechanism how ppl get fat...