Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! Possibility of Scoring lower on second Lsat, worth risk or just cancel scores now?

cbennett13cbennett13 Free Trial Member
in General 12 karma
Currently in need of some last minute advice right now. I took the June 2016 lsat and scored 163. I was averaging around a 166 during my practice tests before this so I immediately signed up to take this Sept exam.
However the studying for my second exam has been much harder than the first time around and I just can't seem to score better than 163-164, often times scoring below it.

I know the raw score between these scores is only a few points, and honestly I feel with the right logic games/ RC passages I can hit my goal of a 165. So should I still sit for the test on Saturday and hope for the best, or simply cancel now. If I dont feel confident I can always cancel my scores after, but I fear I may think I did well and actually got a lower score than before.

Would me canceling and applying within the next few weeks to my dream law school with my163 (Fordham their range is 161-165) be preferable, or should I at least try for a higher score? I would love to be a little higher in their range, but I fear getting a lower/ the same score would hurt my application.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @cbennett13 said:
    Would me canceling and applying within the next few weeks to my dream law school with my163 (Fordham their range is 161-165) be preferable, or should I at least try for a higher score? I would love to be a little higher in their range, but I fear getting a lower/ the same score would hurt my application
    Any way to give yourself until December to retake?

Or you could apply now (Depending on your GPA I am pretty sure you could get in with a 163)
    And then update your app with your new score if it is higher come January?

• cbennett13cbennett13 Free Trial Member
    12 karma
    My GPA is 3.5ish so around their median. I've considered December but I'm starting a job next week and my finals are the same week as the dec lsat, so I'm worried that would be taking on to much stress.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited September 2016 23929 karma
    @cbennett13 said:
    My GPA is 3.5ish so around their median. I've considered December but I'm starting a job next week and my finals are the same week as the dec lsat, so I'm worried that would be taking on to much stress.

I think you'll be ok either way. If you apply with a 3.5/163 I think you have a great shot at getting in.

http://mylsn.info/a1sbbd/

The sample is too small to extrapolate too much, but your chances look really good.

If you are aiming for a scholarship, I would try to find a way to retake when you are better prepared. If you aren't consistently hitting your target now, chances are you won't on Saturday either.

• Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2016 1650 karma
    @cbennett13

I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you insofar as my average/real score in June 2016. What changed between your pre June and post June PTs? Were the lower score PTs from the 70s? Were they retakes? Curious about the situation so I can get a better gauge on it.

On to Fordham, I think @"Alex Divine" is right on. With a 3.5/163 you're right in their median wheelhouse (based on their class of 2018 medians of 3.53/163). I'd say you're likely to be accepted, especially if applying on the early side, but a higher LSAT would basically ensure it.

Personally, I'd recommend taking the exam again Saturday or punting until December. Most schools only look at your top LSAT score so there's kind of nothing to lose (aside from the time/mental energy you're putting into the LSAT).

Regardless, congrats on putting yourself in an excellent position to get into your dream school. Good luck with whatever decision you make and be sure to post an update if (when) you get in!
  • cbennett13cbennett13 Free Trial Member
    12 karma
    I'm actually not totally sure what changed, which is whats really frustrating me.
    My best guess is for the June Lsat I used an online Blueprint class, but for this round I used the Powerscore bibles and some newer prep tests. I'm guessing my major problem this time was doing each bible before starting a new one rather than splitting up my studying between the three sections. I also was putting a lot more stress on myself which led to a lot more anxiety which definitely hasn't helped
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    @cbennett13 how did you use Blueprint/