Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC's ownership of PTs and the First Sale Doctrine

alu6ankaalu6anka Free Trial Member
edited September 2016 in General 12 karma
I am surprised to learn that we have a number of limitations on how we can use the purchased PTs from LSAC. Basically, no copying, no reselling, etc. Have anyone considered the first sale doctrine for copyrighted material. "The first sale doctrine, codified at 17 U.S.C. § 109, provides that an individual who knowingly purchases a copy of a copyrighted work from the copyright holder receives the right to sell, display or otherwise dispose of that particular copy, notwithstanding the interests of the copyright owner." So, I am curious why this doctrine does not apply in the context of the Practice Tests!?

Comments

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    edited September 2016 3107 karma
    @alu6anka said:
    purchases a copy of a copyrighted work from the copyright holder

If you purchased the PDFs from somewhere, those should be yours forever.

However, the LSAC licensed out the PDFs to LSAT prep firms, but then (to my understanding) decided to increase the costs prohibitively. There is no true ban, but rather, extremely costly terms that the LSAC knew would create an effective ban.

*Edit: This is my understanding of what happened, and of course, IANAL (yet lol); so if I'm wrong, tell me.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    IANAL
    Slowly but surely lol @"Accounts Playable"