Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

balancing personal statements, references and LSAT

DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
in General 760 karma
Hey guys, any tips on balancing these three tasks? Am I the only one who has a difficult time balancing and prioritizing?

Comments

• MsM1998_MsM1998_ Alum Member
    117 karma
    References are pretty easy to deal with, just get trustworthy people to do them for you. I told two profs, and one of them sent his letter in within like 3 days of asking. The personal statement you can work on for like 2 hours Saturday and Sunday or something, typing it up usually isn't too hard. Just be genuine with what you're writing. I'm from Canada, so our personal statements aren't much like American ones...But yeah, what should take more time than writing the personal statement is the editing process and making it all nice and tidy. LSAT studying should be prioritized... especiallyif you're doing school or work at the same time, don't let the LSAT work slide to the back of your priority list. December is crawling up on us rather quickly. But I can understand where you're coming from, it gets extremely hard to juggle everything, especially when school or work is added into the mix. Just do things step by step, don't worry yourself too much about the bigger picture. Talked to profs for references? Good move onto personal statement. Got a rough draft for it last weekend, good edit a little bit and then do LSAT work, etc. Make a schedule that works for you.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    edited October 2016 7286 karma
    I agree with @MrYC1995. Ask your professors for letters now; it's nice to give them some runway, and you want a chance to ask someone else if one falls through. Then make a schedule for yourself that prioritizes LSAT studying. If you're someone who likes to work on projects in little sips, mandate that you'll spend, say, half an hour on your PS every day for the next month. If you're someone who, like me, works in big gulps, set aside one day a week to work on your PS, or set yourself a deadline: I'm going to finish a (shitty) first draft of my PS by the end of October.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"DEC_LSAT" said:
    Hey guys, any tips on balancing these three tasks? Am I the only one who has a difficult time balancing and prioritizing?
    The advice above from Mr. Busis is amazing. I totally like to work in "big gulps", so I've been working on my personal statement for a few hours every Sunday when I take a break from LSAT prep.

I think the biggest tip to juggling it all is to just throw the balls up into the air. You need to just dive in and get started.
  • Renee M.Renee M. Alum Member
    103 karma
    I'm from Canada as well, and I personally worked on my personal statement and contacted my referee's quite early so I could focus solely on studying. Now that I've applied to all my desired schools and have submitted all the required documentation it's nice to just have to focus on the LSAT. I'm sure you'll do great however you go about it!