Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC Forum vs. campus visit

whitneyenelsonwhitneyenelson Free Trial Member
in General 10 karma
I'm registered for an LSAC forum in November, but it turns out that's also a really good day to go visit the campus of my number one school. Does it make more sense to attend the forum, or get the one-on-one time on campus?

Comments

• speedwagonspeedwagon Alum Member
    393 karma
    Hmm. I just went to the forum in NYC. I found it kind of useful but not thaaaaaat useful ultimately. Admissions people are admissions people and their answers are pretty predictable. I did some asking of my carefully researched questions - and they were specific - and mostly the answers were not that substantive. I picked up fee waivers, which was easy enough, but I imagine I could have gotten them anyways. ("What is your policy on fee waivers?" was my nice polite way to ask.) I did walk away with some negative impressions which I am trying to weigh against overall rep.

I am 100% planning to visit as I go through this process. It's easier for me because I am only applying to schools by where I live but I think it will be essential, especially for schools I am otherwise considering who seem to be good fits but put me off because of their admissions rep or student who was at the table.

I do think the workshop I went to was interesting but not essential. I am planning to check out their online stuff to go to one or two of the other sessions.

I would say, especially if you want to go to schools you can't visit, it's worth it to at least go meet people and get a sense that way. Talking to students was awesome and highly recommended. But for me, I think the actual visit will be essential, especially for differentiating between schools. It also doesn't necessarily have to take all day - you could get there early, see your top 5 or 6 schools, and leave.