Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible Bug with Posting a Comment After Responding to Comment

Steven CSteven C Free Trial Member
edited June 2014 in Technical Problems 38 karma
This has happened to me at least twice now. The first time thought I had just messed up but the second time it happened was quite sure I entered into the right box. It happened in Firefox 30.0.

I don't want to spam the comments or I'd just double check real quick myself. Happy to provide any other info.

Here is what I did:
1) Post a reply to an existing comment on a LSAT Explanation.
Like this one here: http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-18-section-1-game-1/#comment-18875
2) After you post that REPLY edit it within the 5 minutes (not sure if this is part of the bug, but I did this in both instances).
3) In the box at the very top above all the other comments, the one where you'd normally post a comment that is NOT a REPLY to any other comment, post a comment in there.

Expectation:
I'd expect posting in the box at the very TOP above all other comments would post a top level comment.

Actual Result/Possible Bug:
It posts it as REPLY to the comment you replied to in step 1. Not as a general reply to the explanation.

Comments

• 7Sage Admin7Sage Admin Administrator
    298 karma
    Thank for you letting us know about this Steven, and THANK YOU for laying out the steps you took so clearly! It saves me so much time while checking it out!

I tried reproducing the bug, but it seems to work for me.

Here's what I did:

1. Made a reply to a comment
    2. Clicked edit on the new comment
    3. Clicked "Cancel" to move the reply box to the top, above the other comments.
    4. BEFORE saving the edit, I added a new top level comment.
    5. Saved the edit.
    6. AFTER saving the edit, I added another top level comment

I also tried:
    1. Made a reply to a comment
    2. Clicked "Cancel" to move the reply box to the top, above the other comments.
    3. Clicked edit on the new comment
    4. Saved the edit.
    5. AFTER saving the edit, I added another top level comment

In both cases, the new topics appeared at the top normally. After refreshing the page they are still in the correct places.

Normally, you need to click "Cancel" on the reply box after entering your reply. By default, the reply box remains at the level of your last reply.

It sounds like you didn't have to do that, and saw two reply boxes: one at the top, and one at the level of your last reply. If that's the case, could you please email me your browser information from:

http://www.whatsmybrowser.org/

to alan@7sage.com
  • Steven CSteven C Free Trial Member
    38 karma
    Thanks for the quick response. I just tried it and didn't see it again. Don't want to spam with useless comments so I'll wait to try it again when I have something useful to say :) Likely I just messed up a step or thought it was at the top when it wasn't...now I'll pay more attention...
  • 7Sage Admin7Sage Admin Administrator
    298 karma
    Glad to hear it's working now, please let me know if you see it again!