Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake Dec v. Delay: Advice needed

speedwagonspeedwagon Alum Member
edited October 2016 in General 393 karma
Hi folks:
Here's a long question but it seems like a lot of smart people weigh in here and I wanted to provide the data.

I took the Sept LSAT. Got a 167. I took despite all warnings re: "wait until you're -0 or -1 on LGs, wait until you've peaked on PTs" - I needed to have something concrete in front of me to keep working on this decision. I self-studied from the Trainer, the PS LR bible, and the 7sage LG videos. This was up 10 pts from my diagnostic and to be honest I only really studied from early August on so a short (but very intense) run. I went -6 LR overall, -3 RC (that Mesolithic one really got me; I've been PTing a steady -0), -6 LG (ran out of time/the viruses got me). Of the LR I missed, 2 were MSS, 2 were RA, two were "what does this piece do in this argument" (one comparative, one on its own). Clearly, there are some fundamentals to be polished. I was PTing around 170 and doing more like -1 or -2 on LR for timed sections and it was the MSS/RAs giving me the most trouble along with being slow on games.

I am leaning towards retake because I am frustrated at these errors and frustrated that I am so close to being eligible for these top schools but not quite there. I am excited by the flexibility, options, and access they get me (like everyone else). I worry that if I cram for December I won't see the gains I would if I wait for February or June and do this all next year. I also worry that waiting for a December LSAT and applying then makes me too late w/my GPA and that I wouldn't see a big enough increase - but then conversely, Everyone Says that if that increased score is a 170+, it is ok to be late. I'm an older student with an Interesting History, a splitter (3.63 LSAC), and I get the impression that I will be taken as a little bit of an anomaly generally speaking.

Given this, what do you think? I am in a moment where I actually have the time to study 20-25 hours/week or so and there are so many reasons this is the moment for a big change in my life but I am 100% buying the romance of "your whole life will be different at HYCCCN" and would hate to close doors just because I am impatient. Wait? Cram? Sit it in December and if the score isn't there, chill out a minute and plan for June?

Thanks a million in advance.

Comments

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    If you have the resources to do so, you can sign up for December and see where you are three/four weeks from now. If you're not progressing like you want to be, eat the fee and push it back.

You won't be too late for this cycle if you take December, so don't worry about that. Your sole focus should be on your score. You have a strong one already under your belt, so it's all gravy from here.
  • I'm doing the same, signed up for December and will eat the fee if there's not enough improvement. Really glad to hear folks don't think a late LSAT score will affect application chances!

Speedwagon, I'm in your same boat: 167 in September and a 3.68 with interesting work experience/background. I was completely murdered by that last game and despite -1's on the LR sections, my poor score on LG ruined me. I feel like I've hit a total wall with logic games and am hoping to spend the next month trying to figure out a way to improve there.

I agree that shooting for the 170+ is well worth another month of serious studying. We're so close and those lost couple points put most of the T14 schools in reach. Good luck man!!
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    I highly recommend taking Jonathan Wang's advice. I had my LSAC Forum today (thanks for the advice!) and I asked a lot of the T14 schools about the December LSAT being a late application and affecting scholarship aid. Almost all of them told me December is not a late application, does not impact scholarship aid (only 1 school said scholarship aid is affected and that was not a T14). Georgetown told me that they don't assess scholarship aid until all the applications are evaluated.

I would prep using the 7Sage curriculum if you feel you might be lacking on the fundamentals, it has made a huge difference in my prep. I have gotten to a point where I can review LR on my own (it's my worst section) and I can actually understand the issues with each question.

If you feel you are strong on the fundamentals, then I would take PT's and extensively review questions you were not sure on and questions you got wrong. If you feel you are still lacking on your score in a few weeks, then reevaluate your cycle for this fall.