Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Devastated (help)

CoffeecoffeecoffCoffeecoffeecoff Alum Member
edited October 2016 in General 69 karma
Sorry for the dramatic title. I wasn't going to post this because I don't want to scare any future test takers, but I really need some help. I was averaging 169 consistently for the final month and a half before the September LSAT. Well, I got a 150. This is 8 points lower than my cold diagnostic. I have no idea what happened. I told myself that I wouldn't let this number define me, but I'm absolutely crushed. Between full-time school, work, and a special needs child I don't have time to study for the December LSAT, but I'm planning on retaking it in February.

Here is my average previous to the September LSAT:
LR: -3
LG: -2
RC: -3

Here was my actual score breakdown:
LR: -11
RC: -15
LG: -9
LR: -11

Looking over the test and my answers (briefly, it was very painful), I can clearly see the mistakes that I made. I struggled in EVERY section, which is strange because it did not feel very difficult. I'm not sure what caused this drop, nerves possibly? I don't know. I'm considering taking an actual in-classroom course, but I just don't have the money and I would have to take out a student loan to do it. I also let my subscription here lapse because I was confident that I was ready. Ugh! I feel like I'm in a nightmare.

What should I do? I could really use some clarity about this situation.

Comments

• Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Sorry to hear. Were you strictly timing yourself while pting? What do you think went wrong during the actual test?
  • J_ClarksonJ_Clarkson Alum Member
    585 karma
    @Coffeecoffeecoff said:
    I was averaging 169 consistently for the final month and a half before the September LSAT
    Get back on the horse and take December! You can do this!
  • CoffeecoffeecoffCoffeecoffeecoff Alum Member
    edited October 2016 69 karma
    @nanchito I wasn't. I found that I got anxious when I set a timer, so I just was mindful of when I began and tried not to go over the allowed time. On the actual test I finished every section except LG with at least 5 minutes to check my answers. Maybe I rushed through too quickly? I don't really know what caused a drop that dramatic.
    1762 karma
    Well it seems like you have a solid understanding of the fundamentals with that br score. You just gotta practice strictly timing yourself to close that gap. Start timing yourself. Next section you do shave off 3 mins then 2 then blah. Practice skipping. Revisit/redrill sections.

You can do this.
  • Wind-Up BirdWind-Up Bird Alum Member
    284 karma
    @Coffeecoffeecoff

If you felt anxious after starting the timer on practice runs, then I don't think it would be too far-fetched to say that there was something about a timed section that contributed to your score drop on the actual test (despite finishing each section early). I think timing your practice sections is essential to making sure that the conditions under which you're practicing will be as similar to the real test as possible. Otherwise, you're kind of gimping yourself by introducing too many unforeseen variables on the actual test.

Personally, I also experienced that same, awful anxiety when I first hit the timer during my initial practice tests. However, having timed a plethora of sections, timed conditions became such a natural and stress-free experience.

Cheers. Hopefully, you can find a solution that works best for you in your future studies.
  • CoffeecoffeecoffCoffeecoffeecoff Alum Member
    edited October 2016 69 karma
    @Wind-UpBird Thanks, I think you and @nanchito hit the nail on the head. I should have been timing myself. Looking back, the week leading up to the test I had so much anxiety about timing that was probably my biggest worry. Although, being able to finish all the sections early, I brushed that off as not really being an issue. I wish I just would have pushed through it and started timing myself earlier. How many pts would you suggest before taking the February test in order to get myself acclimated to taking a timed section?
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    There's no magic number of PTs. It's really that you have to know yourself. I would never do a section or PT without a strict timer and the 7sage proctor. Even 1 section practices, I'd open up the proctor and use it for that section. Another thing I found helpful is to induce as difficult a test taking experience as possible on a PT or two or some practice sections. That way I felt like nothing could surprise me or panic me on test day. And I knew exactly what to do if I started to freak out. Hope this helps!
  • Swift777Swift777 Member
    83 karma
    I would recommend timing yourself, but also try simulating your test in the actual test centre if you can get permission. Otherwise, try simulating your test in a public place. Recreate all the same conditions (using a proctor, using the bubble sheet, 15 min breaks only after the 3rd section in a 5 section test). Try simulating with 5 sections (with a random section thrown in from an earlier PT) to see if it was an endurance issue. Also see if you can record yourself with a video camera or phone while taking the test.

You can certainly get back into it and get up to your PT scores again! Best of luck!
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited October 2016 8689 karma
    @Coffeecoffeecoff if I had to bet I would bet that the issue here is the timing issue. Maybe not specifically speaking time in and of itself but giving questions the proper amount of time to answer them correctly. This problem emits of a whole range of specific solutions that 7Sage addresses: from conditional logic lessons to what to do when you see causality in an LR stimulus.

With that being said, where you are now and what you got on the September exam really and truly isn't that bad of a spot to be in for two reasons: 1.Your previous scores show that you know the material quite well. 2.You didn't officially and rigorously iron-out your timing issues in the PT phase. There is certainly room for tangible and real improvement here in my estimation. It would probably pay dividends to view to September as a practice run, you've got the feeling of test-day and you have something to build on. My recommendation would be to use September as that: a learning experience. Whats done is done my friend and you can only grow from this experience.

-Good luck and stay in touch
    1762 karma
    how ever many pts it takes. Just work on your confidence. I know it's hard, but you'll see it gets better with time.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    Hey Coffee. Time was definitely the issue. The good news is, your averages reflect a very high level of understanding. Between now and December, work on performing under time pressure and I think you're going to do great.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    I'd also add that I don't think you're going to benefit from an in person class. I'd say re up your 7sage membership before joining up with one of them. You're too advanced for a class and the ability to target specific areas is going to be what you need to proceed further with your studies.

Another option you might want to look into though is an administered PT which is something a lot of colleges and universities offer. Check around at the schools in your area and see if any of them offer that. That would be a great resource for you.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" I definitely agree with everything you said