Self - Study Books Prep Question

joy.pylesjoy.pyles Free Trial Member
in General 36 karma
Does anyone have any comments about Blueprint RC, The LSAT Trainer or Fox Logical Reasoning books? How many books do we have to buy for prep to score high? There are a lot of LSAT books and study courses on the market. What is the best approach to prepare for this exam?

Comments

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2016 4141 karma
    If I've learned anything from Sage advice, it is that all the best prep materials mean absolutely nothing if you don't strategically put hard work, effort, and time into your prep. That said, I've used the Trainer for RC and LG numerical distribution. It helped me see patterns and similarities with LR question types and question flaws, but I love 7Sage's approach to LR question types compared to the other materials I've used (Powerscore & Manhattan). I haven't used Blueprint or Fox though but I hope someone here can address those books.
  • Tinyosi1Tinyosi1 Alum Member
    235 karma
    Well you are obviously going to get decently biased answers here, so it is no surprise I recommend 7Sage for the most efficient way to prepare.

I wouldn't even say that it is impossible to score very high when just prepping with self-study books, but without a doubt a course like 7Sage is the best in terms of explaining key concepts and thought processes. JY does a great job breaking things down.

If you go through a course and are still a bit rough on certain things you could always try a different approach from a book, but in my opinion a course is the best way.
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    I tried Blueprint before but did not finish the course. I would suggest stick on the 7 sage, LSAT trainer and Pts are enough.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I think @nessa.k13.0 said it best!

Before 7Sage, I used Powerscore, Manhattan, The LSAT Trainer. Nothing proved as effective as thousands of hours of video lessons and drills on my laptop. The ability to see someone like J.Y. solve problems in real time in invaluable.

Also, from an objective standpoint, no book can contain as much info as thousands of hours of video can.

In my opinion, the best way to prepare for this exam is to go through the 7Sage course, blind review your tests (utilize the BR groups) and return the the curriculum as needed to drill weak spots.
  • Burt MacklinBurt Macklin Alum Member
    170 karma
    I started off working through the LSAT Trainer in January. Although I think it gave me a solid grounding and understanding of the LSAT, I didn't feel sufficiently prepared to take the test upon finishing the book. For that reason I signed up for 7Sage starter sometime around June, later upgrading to Premium, and couldn't be happier with how things are going. It wasn't until this past week, while working through the some of the previously completed core curriculum lessons, that I've finally felt like things are starting to click. I am feeling way more comfortable working through questions and more confident in my answer choices, something that I definitely didn't have upon finishing the LSAT Trainer.

If you want to dip your toes in the water and gauge your dedication/interest the LSAT Trainer is perfect, its relatively cheap and a quick read. However, if you have aspirations to score high on the test I firmly believe that 7Sage is the route to go. Solutions to questions that are provided in the course was something that really sold me on, it teaches you to "think like a high scorer" (LSAT Trainer reference).

I think Alex can add on this but you need to acknowledge that there isn't any silver bullet to conquering the LSAT, you have to put in the hard work. Find something that fits your budget, meets your needs, and start PUTTING IN THE WORK.