Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much important is recommendation letter?

LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
edited October 2016 in General 250 karma
If I end up getting a terrible score on LSAT, would good LOR help me to get me into a good school? :(
Or it would not make that much difference? (even if I get really good ones or just good ones or fine ones...)

Would LSAT and GPA just determine where I can go?

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    good academic LORs are important without a doubt. They should never put you at a disadvantage. However, it won't compensate for a low LSAT score. The fact of the matter is, the LSAT is half the application so it's imperative to do really good on it. It's not just numbers though, that's why I say good LORs are important. There's also soft factors that can be listed in your resume that should assist.
  • LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
    250 karma
    @montaha.rizeq
    Then, does that mean I should not worry too much about LOR but rather, worry about LSAT?
    Actually I'm not sure I can find a really good recommenders...I mean, I know some good profs and we have good relationships but not sure she can write a really good one to compensate for LSAT (like you said.) but honestly not sure about LSAT neither now...
  • brian628brian628 Member
    10 karma
    As was mentioned, a good LOR will never compensate for a low LSAT mark. I would concentrate on getting a high LSAT and GPA.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    Then, does that mean I should not worry too much about LOR but rather, worry about LSAT?
    Actually I'm not sure I can find a really good recommenders...I mean, I know some good profs and we have good relationships but not sure she can write a really good one to compensate for LSAT (like you said.) but honestly not sure about LSAT neither now...
    Worry about both but remember the LSAT holds more value in the eyes of the adcoms. A good recommender doesn't mean someone who can outshine your LSAT score - rather, it's someone who can speak fluently on your ability in an academic setting. So from what you mentioned about your potential recommender, I think they fit the bill.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2016 23929 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    If I end up getting a terrible score on LSAT, would good LOR help me to get me into a good school? :(
    Or it would not make that much difference? (even if I get really good ones or just good ones or fine ones...)
    LORs or more or less formalities. Great ones can certainly paint you in a GREAT light, but I've been told by ex-adcomms that they will never push you over the edge where your numbers wouldn't get you in

The LSAT & GPA undoubtedly have more of an affect on your application. But you should still try to solicit the best LORs you can. They are important!

Again, though, NOTHING is going to compensate for a low LSAT score except retaking and scoring higher! Law school is 90%+ a numbers game.

• LSATakerLSATaker Free Trial Member
    edited October 2016 250 karma
    @montaha.rizeq @"Alex Divine"
    Thanks.
    I really don't understand why admission people then just emphasize LSAT and GPA are not the only factors they consider...
    One of T-14 admission ppl said they even cut a person off who had 4.0 GPA and over 170 LSAT score. (I guess they had terrible PS and recommendation letters?)
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    @LSATaker said:
    One of T-14 admission ppl said they even cut a person off who had 4.0 GPA and over 170 LSAT score. (I guess they had terrible PS and recommendation letters?)
    Keep in mind that this very well could have been an isolated incident in light of thousands of accepted applications over the years.

When people cite applications as a "number's game," they are incidentally or not referring to law schools' need to keep their own numbers high - that is, their median LSAT and GPA numbers.

I imagine if the applicant you referenced would've negatively affected the school's LSAT median, that applicant would've been accepted. But with so many applicants, the impact of one individual is of course lessened. Maybe the applicant applied late or lost out to applicants with even better LSAT scores. Even if there were an actual, specific individual that beat out the referenced applicant, and even if that admitted individual had a lower LSAT score and/or GPA, he or she may not have negatively affected the median LSAT/GPA of that score. Perhaps the denied applicant was super cocky and off-putting. Perhaps the admitted applicant was an attractive minority candidate or had a very interesting and compelling personal statement, diversity statement, et cetera.

It is a number's game, but when law schools aren't negatively affected by admitting or not admitting a particular candidate, they're probably more likely to admit people they find are either interesting for or beneficial to their class.