Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading List for Humanities RC

westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
in General 3788 karma
Especially with the difficult RC passage about lacquer art in the September, I was wondering if there were any publications I could read to be comfortable with art related RC passages.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @westcoastbestcoast said:
    I was wondering if there were any publications I could read to be comfortable with art related RC passages.
    I would suggest just using real LSAT Humanities RC passages. Nothing is going to give you better practice than those will.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    Haha @"Alex Divine" what if you have already done pretty much all the RC multiple times? It was usually the hard science passages for me that stumped in the past while I fouund the humanities to be easier.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Look through the bibliographies and read more extensively from the works the passages are drawn from. That way, you get the benefit of new material while staying very close to the LSAT Passage.

Off the top of my head, I recommend Culture and Imperialism by Edward Said. It's pretty challenging, so would be a good read for your purposes. And it's a really important book that's good to read in general. Two birds.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2016 23929 karma
    @westcoastbestcoast said:
    Haha @"Alex Divine" what if you have already done pretty much all the RC multiple times? It was usually the hard science passages for me that stumped in the past while I fouund the humanities to be easier.
    Haha! Damn! I'm personally a big proponent of going back to re-do them over and over. There like 350 released RC passages, so there's certainly plenty to work with. Of those, at least 120 would be humanities passages.... IF you have done them all to the point they aren't helpful anymore..... I like @Cantgetright 's idea. I had to read that [Cultures and Imperialism] for an East Asian History course in undergrad.

If science is indeed your weakness, Scientific American is a good publication for becoming better at reading complicated scientific nomenclature.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    Thank you @"Alex Divine" and @"Cant Get Right" for your suggestions. Ill see to it to purchase that book to read it. And I'm planning to just redo the passages for the sake of practice and mastering the skill of identifying reasoning structure!