PT9.S2.Q22 - from the time our party

westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
edited November 2016 in Logical Reasoning 3788 karma
For this particular problem, I wasn't able to clearly articulate why answer choice C was incorrect. I interpreted the conclusion to be a causal one, specifically one that claims that the author's political party is responsible for the decrease in unemployment. I do see how the premises contradict the observation that unemployment decreased, but I'm not sure why answer choice C is incorrect. I saw answer choice C as providing an alternate cause and showed how the perceived changes in employment is not due to the author's party but rather seasonal fluctuations.

Comments

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited November 2016 4141 karma
    Hi @westcoastbestcoast :) I eliminated C because I could not see how accounting for seasonal fluctuations would make the argument less/not flawed. If there is seasonal fluctuation okay so what? If that percentage (20%) was an aggregate of unemployment per term--rather I thought those percentages were over the course of each 4 years because the stimulus said "from the time our party took office". Additionally, if there is seasonal fluctuation I wasn't convinced that it mattered so much because each party had 4 yrs or close to it, so that's enough (and near equivalent) full 4 years for those seasonal fluctuations to play out during the course of each party's term.
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    Hey @nessa.k13.0! Thanks for the response, I guess I forgot to account that the political parties were in office over a 4 year term, and that the unemployment rate aggregated after 4 years haha
  • nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma
    You are welcome!