Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why number our re-written game rules?

steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
in Logic Games 192 karma
The lesson Logic Games Habits for Speed and Accuracy says about re-writing rules in visual language: "Write out rules neatly, close to each other, numbered [emphasis added]."

I have been wondering why JY always numbers his re-written rules. I've not seen any use made of the numbers that helps to answer questions. I can see occasional convenience of reference when, in talking to us watchers of the video explanations, JY deletes or combines or uses a rule. But I'm not as yet seeing a reason for me to number my rules.

Comments

• Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    I suck at LG (-5/-7 per section) but I suck less than I did at first, so I feel like I've learned something. One prob I have is that I'll forget to apply some rule, even if there are only 3-4 simple rules, when I don't dutifully check them at every stage. Often, the rules evolve, co-mingle and such, and you got a bunch of scribble everywhere. Then it's hard to remember whether you've checked every rule bc it's not a pretty checklist anymore. Keeping them numbered might facilitate that process a bit as the game evolves.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    @Q.E.D said:
    you got a bunch of scribble everywhere. Then it's hard to remember whether you've checked every rule bc it's not a pretty checklist anymore.
    This is it for me. The numbers are a construct that ensure everything gets kept neat and orderly.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    edited November 2016 1171 karma
    Agreed. It also makes a greater or lesser difference depending on the game. Some games are very rule driven (such as the one with the old and new types of music) and thus are greatly enhanced by this approach. Other games may not be enhanced at all. But it is hard to know ahead of time how the game will play out and so it is a good habit to be in.
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited November 2016 8694 karma
    To echo what others have said: numbering rules allows for me to keep an orderly accounting of the rules. In addition to that, some games contain within a single rule 2 things one can garner from that rule, I think of these aspects of the rules as what the rule is explicitly telling us and what the rule is implicitly telling us. I usually box these 2 iterations of the rule and number it. For instance: if a rule tells us explicitly where something cannot go implicitly it is telling us where it can go. Having both of these aspects of the rule under the heading of a number allows me to quickly and easily look at the rule and read it. In addition to this, some rules contain 2 different things! I individually number these: the second half of the 5th rule on the 4th game of PT 32. So although I might have 5 sentences, there are really 6 rules there.

Quite often, when I am stuck on a question in LG, or I have arrived at 2 possible answers to a single question (the worst) I have forgotten to apply a rule. Having a checklist in front of me so I can look at my world and say: rule 1-taken care of, rule 2 taken care of, rules 3 taken care of, rule 4 taken care of is a big help to me. I can usually catch the mistake.

Sometimes, I might have a list of 8 rules, because the stimulus contains something akin to "use all" or "each something must have at least one." These I number and add to the list. Now when I draw a world for a complex question I go through and make check marks. If a given world (hypothetical) conforms to all 7-8 rules, I put a star by it. These help me with the rule substitution questions.

I should add in conclusion that if numbering rules doesn't work for you, then dispense of it.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"steve-10" said:
    I have been wondering why JY always numbers his re-written rules.
    It just helps to keep a neat and orderly list. I find this even more important when the clock is ticking. As @Q.E.D mentioned up above, there is often scribble everywhere, and numbering helps to ensure you can easily check your rules.
  • steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    192 karma
    I am not persuaded yet as to numbering. However, I do sometimes draw a border around rules if I think they might be hard to distinguish from other writing, er, scribbling.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"steve-10" said:
    I am not persuaded yet as to numbering. However, I do sometimes draw a border around rules if I think they might be hard to distinguish from other writing, er, scribbling.
    Do you homie!

Before 7Sage I didn't number and all I can say is that it has helped me immensely. If you find yourself having to check the rules for questions, your brain will work better/faster when things are ordered/numbered. Not to mention, it literally takes a second.
  • steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    192 karma
    How about when you've written four rules and then, "oh, wait, I can combine rules 1 and 3!"
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2016 23929 karma
    @"steve-10" said:
    How about when you've written four rules and then, "oh, wait, I can combine rules 1 and 3!"
    Combine them and make a new rule. There are almost always going to be inferences you can push together. It is still recommended to write and number the rules and then combine when you are done; at least when you are first learning. The most important thing you want to develop for the LG section is having a consistent way to diagram and write out the rules.