Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Motivation for Core Curriculum!

DinnerAtSixDinnerAtSix Member
edited November 2016 in General 86 karma
As a second time test-taker, I'm experiencing a motivation slump with the core curriculum and can't get through it as efficiently as I'd like to. Everybody's who has successfully completed the CC, how'd you do it? =D

Comments

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Don’t wait until you’re motivated. Start slow and easy ; then incrementally build up. I’d utilize strategies like the ones James Clear (google him) suggests: Start with easily attainable daily goals (maybe 30 minutes/day with the curriculum) yet incrementally increasing demand (the next day spend 31 minutes/day). You’re only trying to do 1% better than the day before. The key is to have short-term success. Best of luck!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @DinnerAtSix said:
    As a second time test-taker, I'm experiencing a motivation slump with the core curriculum and can't get through it as efficiently as I'd like to. Everybody's who has successfully completed the CC, how'd you do it? =D
    Motivation is probably the most overrated thing in the world. Discipline is the key to achieving those hard things we need to get through.

I got through the CC by realizing that essentially there is me and my goals: Between us is a lot of work I sometimes don't want to do; but if my dreams and goals are important, I'll do it.

Sometimes it helps me to remember why I am doing all of this. Sit and make a list of all the reasons you want to go to law school/become an attorney.

Lastly, the CC isn't actually that bad at all. JY is personable and make jokes that make this whole LSAT thing fun. After a day of work, I often find myself looking forward to listening to JY's lessons, haha.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Lol, these two guys ^^ nailed it! plus this forum got your back :)
  • DinnerAtSixDinnerAtSix Member
    86 karma
    @montaha.rizeq @"Alex Divine" @DumbHollywoodActor, thank you so much for your fabulous advice, ye kind souls. This is one of the many reasons I love this forum, and this site!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @DinnerAtSix said:
    @montaha.rizeq @"Alex Divine" @DumbHollywoodActor, thank you so much for your fabulous advice, ye kind souls. This is one of the many reasons I love this forum, and this site!
    :) We love you too! You got this girl!
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    I literally finished the cc in 1 year. I spent 6 months doing it part time the first third that is of the curriculum. From July onwards I started studying full time with the curriculum.

My method was to incorporate all the LR by type from 1-38 and drill all LG from 1-40 based on the LG lessons. Even though it took me a lot longer than most people I think I was able to see patterns in the LR and get better at it.

That said, I'm finding my timed accuracy is not very high and I need to improve on accuracy with timing. I was all set to do December, now I'm rethinking it but I'm kind of disappointed because I was really hoping to apply this cycle.

I repeated the first third of the curriculum twice and refused to move on until I completely mastered a question type or game type. I strongly believe in slow and steady win the race and I'm hoping that will happen with me. Just keep persevering in your commitment to the curriculum, don't give up with how long it takes you (I initially thought it would take 3 months then 6 lol). I'm different from a lot of people in that I did every piece of the curriculum that JY provides.

I'm hoping it will provide dividends for me in the end, we'll see what happens! Fingers crossed!!!