Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't people discuss their scores?

kingfisher23kingfisher23 Free Trial Member
in General 14 karma
I mean, I guess I get it. But I've had a terrible time trying to get an accurate gauge of where I fall on the application spectrum. I've even found that current law school students and those recently graduated from law schools are disinclined to share their number. Is it just super tacky for me to ask? I've never shied away from sharing my score on the Dec 2015 test and I doubt I'll be hesitant to share my score from this one if I'm asked. Just wondering how others feel about giving out the actual number.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    check out Mylsn.info website!
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma
    They might not want to share because it's too personal or because they don't want to be judged. Regardless of their reasons, Anecdotal score information won't be as useful as the school's reported median if you want to see where you stand
  • kingfisher23kingfisher23 Free Trial Member
    14 karma
    MyLSN is exactly what I've been looking for! Thank you.

I know where I want to go, but my metrics are not congruent with the published stats (LSAT significantly above 75%, GPA below 25%). I feel like my application statement can overcome the GPA issue by addressing extenuating circumstances, but having the anecdotal evidence is certainly somewhat reassuring.

Stevie C I guess I can understand those hesitations. I've just found it really interesting that responses tend more toward "I did well" or "I got a good score" than an actual number. Of particular interest is that the response trend holds true even for people who have gotten into or even graduated from law school. I would think those people have no reason to fear being judged for their numbers.

Simply an interesting musing in the void following yesterday's test.
  • S.P. 170S.P. 170 Alum Member
    188 karma
    I would recommend talking to students at the school you are interested in to ask them what scores they and their classmates were accepted with. As Stevie said, you can also check the school's average admission scores.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27858 karma
    I was actually in a restaurant the other day and someone was talking very loudly about how proud they were of their kid for scoring a 148 on the LSAT. I was kind of excited to run into somebody in the real world who was talking about the LSAT. I didn't say anything though. I would inevitably have been asked how I'd scored, and to answer that question would have really deflated their kid's score and brought down the mood. Same thing in the other direction. If I'd been announcing my score to the whole restaurant, I doubt they'd've felt like sharing.
  • jennilynn89jennilynn89 Alum Member
    822 karma
    @kingfisher23 honestly I think people don't talk about/like to talk about their scores because it's really personal and because of other people being really easy to judge someone based on their score.
    At least for me personally that's been the reason. I took the Dec. LSAT last year and got a terrible score (low 140s) and haven't disclosed that score to any of my friends or anyone I know that knows anything about the LSAT because it would probably make me look pretty stupid.
    Also, a lot of people just flat out lie about their scores to make themselves look better, so even if you ask someone, they may not give you a truthful answer.

@"Cant Get Right" that really is refreshing to hear! That sounds like my dad lol. I disclosed my terrible score from last year with him and he told a close friend who mentioned my score during THANKSGIVING. I wanted to die. But it is what it is. I hate this stigma that low scores have. I try to tell myself I'm better than my low scores and people who judge my intelligence based on it.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @kingfisher23 I think it's because people lie. Plain and simple. I had a roommate that always spoke of law school. The whole crew knew each other's desired careers. I lost contact with that roommate but we had a mutual friend. I knew the mutual friend still conversed with my roommate so I asked how she was doing. The mutual friend started telling me about the LSAT because she knew it was of interest to me and she thought she was sharing good news. She stated that the roommate told her she scored a 140 something and that was high enough to be competitive and get into schools. I bit my tongue and said nothing but the point is, my roommate would've never told me that nor would she have revealed her score because she knew that I know full well how poorly she had actually performed. If she told me a score it definitely would've been inflated. Needless to say, my roommate no longer has law school as a desired career. I'm not knocking her score, obviously people have been admitted to schools with that score, but she lied to the mutual friend and put a little sugar on sh!t so that she could look good knowing full well that she had not met her goal. I have another mutual friend that failed 1L; however, she told me that she needed time off and that she was having issues concentrating and had just discovered that she has ADHD. Ok. Maybe, but I doubt it. I've known her too long to have not noticed it, IMO. She sat out 2 years and never returned. Now all she talks about are lobbyists and DC. She has never even addressed the fact that she's not returning. She mentioned once about starting over but nothing else. I know the truth to be that she is a poor student. We shared a major and minor in undergrad and purposely enrolled in all the same classes and she cheated her way through everything and still got C's. She got into her school because of connections, I won't knock her for that. She never revealed her score to me because she scored in the 140s. It's not hard to see that she flunked out being that I know her academically. She still lied to save face. I might also add that her mom is a District Court Judge. I took the LSAT in 2008. I scored miserably on it. I honestly don't even remember the score, but I would never tell anybody if I did. I purposely forgot that score. I soothed myself by saying that I scored so poorly because I had just been diagnosed with cancer 5 days prior. This is true, but I also know that I was nowhere near prepared as I needed to be.