Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do they calculate the curve?

S.P. 170S.P. 170 Alum Member
in General 188 karma
So some people are speculating that Deccember's LSAT will be between a -10 and -12 curve. My question is, how does LSAC determine their curve? Is it arbitrary or is it based on our collective performance?

Follow-up question: Are the scaled scores pegged to a percentile score? For example, is a 160 always equivalent to an 80 percentile? Or does it vary?

Comments

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    edited December 2016 821 karma
    As far as I understand it, the curve is preset, and it is not based on *our* (as in the actual people who sat for the December LSAT) performance.

The curve is predetermined based on when each section was given experimentally under another LSAT administration.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @stgl1230 said:
    As far as I understand it, the curve is preset, and it is not based on *our* (as in the actual people who sat for the December LSAT) performance.

The curve is predetermined based on when each section was given experimentally under another LSAT administration.
    Correct. The test isn't "curved" they use something called test equation in which they use past experimental sections to preset the "curve," if you will.