Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prep for February or June LSAT?

cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
in General 737 karma
Hey again everyone, so I've been studying for quite some time now, and as I mentioned in another post, I am still scoring quite low (mid 140's, mid 150's after BR) :/ I feel like I already know, or have a general understanding of how to approach most problems in each section, but as noted with my score, I can obviously go back to the lessons and drill again. I've already pushed back taking the LSAT twice since the September administration, and I'm debating if I should take the February or the June exam.

One of my concerns for preparing as if I were to take the February exam is, what I should do if, let's say I take one PT a week until February, I am still not scoring what I want, but I've exhausted those recent PT's?

In other words, If I'm concerned with prepping for February with recent PT's with the possibility that I may not reach my target score (anything 155-160 or higher), should I perhaps PT with older tests in the 40's or 50's? Should I just wait till June?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank y'all so much!

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @cgracia12 Hey! I think you should BR older PT. You'll want those extra PT the further you get into your studies. Start in the 30s. If you see that you're not scoring within a few points of the goal then I would withdraw and work toward June or September. How many PT have you already taken? Use your analytics to see where you need the most work. You probably already know without looking. Also, how are your LG scores? I ask because it's the easiest to improve and there are precious points right there that can get you to your goal score for the Feb test. If you're lacking in LG I would suggest going hard there to get those extra points. If I'm giving my honest opinion I would say wait until June or September. It looks like you need to return to the curriculum. From experience, you're only spinning your wheels trying to move fwd without a thorough understanding of what's going on and potentially practicing more wrong and ineffective strategies. I hated returning to the curriculum but it was necessary for me to move fwd. I've had to return more than once. It's takes as many times as it takes. I can't tell you how many times I've watched the video on Group 3 and Group 4 logical indicators. For some reason it trips me up every time I see both in the same sentence. I can see it on paper but for whatever reason I have to just stop and map it out before moving fwd. That's just the way it is sometimes I guess!
  • kgbawuahkgbawuah Alum Member
    44 karma
    @cgarcia

This is my experience-

The number of PTs you take does not necessarily guarantee that your score will improve. Taking many PTs, however, exposes you to different question types and trends. As to how this exposure improves your score is deeply rooted in your understanding of the concepts, self-confidence, your ability to unlearn/relearn, and your stress level.

Low PT scores will negatively impact your self-confidence and stress. So what do you do?

• Go back to the basics- For this, I will recommend Mike Kim’s LSAT Trainer.
    • Print the Free LSAT copy (2007) from LSAC or 7sage, or any PT.
    • Divide the LR section into 3 parts (e.g. 1-10, 11-18, and 19-25).
    • Solve each part untimed. Yes untimed- because you are building a solid understanding of some information and time will add an additional stress.
    • Develop a process of elimination- For this also, I will recommend Mike Kim’s LSAT Trainer.
    • Understand why each answer is correct or not correct.
    • After grading any given part, your goal is to miss zero. If you happen to miss any question, print out fresh copies and retake that part again and again and again until you are perfect.
    • Once you have perfected the 2007 PT, switch to a different year’s test- Untimed, but faster.

If the LSAT is not a test of intelligence, but a test of a certain skill and a way of thinking, then anybody is capable of an enviable score.
  • rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma
    @kgbawuah I second what this person above has said. I just finished reading the LSAT Trainer after I went through the CC. I have not touched any of the PTs in the 70s and only a handful in the 60s. Those I'm saving until my average is where I want it to be.

I wouldn't worry so much about pushing the test back. I originally intended to take it June 2016. Now, I'm thinking I'll take it June 2017. There are a lot of LSAT myths that we unlearn along the way like that you can master the test very fast. Unless you're already scoring high 60s I'm not sure a big fast improvement is typical or to be expected from us mere mortals.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @kgbawuah said:

If the LSAT is not a test of intelligence, but a test of a certain skill and a way of thinking, then anybody is capable of an enviable score.
    I agree a lot with this post, OP.

Don't set a date at all... they are completely arbitrary. Set a score goal and get to it :)
  • cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma
    When you say to divide the LR section into 3 parts, you're referring to just one of the LR sections in that exam, correct? @kgbawuah
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    Aim for June. You do not want to do a non-disclosed test. Plus you want to make sure your skills are ready and not rushed.