Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Working on resume

Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
in General 893 karma
I am hoping I can get some thoughts on what to do with running way over the 1 page length for resume. I have been working for many, many moons and managed to keep pace with my professional peers so I have some citations and stuff to put on. How many pages can the resume be? I don't want to leave anything off, but I am not close to 1 page.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2016 23929 karma
    Sure! Feel free to PM it to me and I can look it over.

Generally, you want your pre-law school resume to be as close to one page as possible without omitting any important information. I was told be a credible admissions consultant to keep it as close to a page as possible. More is absolutely acceptable if you have relevant things to add, but I think the issue was that they tend to glance at resumes and the more you put, the more you risk they will gloss over more important information on your resume. I was told they spend no more than a 2-3 minutes reading your resume, so I would try to avoid anything over 2 pages (If possible).
  • lawschoolstuff16lawschoolstuff16 Alum Member
    328 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Generally, you want your pre-law school resume to be one page.

Not to be a buzzkill because while I know this is a general rule, I do know from speaking to law school deans that you should really only put relevant positions on your resume. So, if you've worked at let's say, 6 different law firms, and that puts you onto two pages, then you're fine. Just don't go to a third page to say you were a clerk at a grocery store unless you've had only limited work experience. Hope this helps.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    I'm in the same boat! I've been told what @lawschoolstuff16 has mentioned. However, I was also told that law schools want to know if you worked throughout college. Kinda tough to relay that information if we're encouraged to cut non-law/non-volunteer positions to reduce the length of the resume.
    328 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    I was also told that law schools want to know if you worked throughout college.
    Exactly. I know people discussing in their addenda how they had lower GPAs because of financial difficulties which required them to pick up extra jobs (usually retail or factory work, etc). If that's the case for you, then you should include it. You should try frame your resume in the way you're trying to frame yourself in your application.

I don't think it would hurt to add extra "side" jobs, but you shouldn't do it if you have extensive experience unless you're pointing directly at something you mentioned elsewhere in your application (addenda, or personal/diversity statements, etc).
    2086 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16 Nope, not my case. I worked pretty much all throughout college. But, sacrificed my social life so that I could keep my grades up, lol.
    Ugh...I think I may have to submit a 2 page resume. I have a handful of volunteer positions to briefly discuss, multiple jobs, clubs, etc.
    328 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    @lawschoolstuff16 Nope, not my case. I worked pretty much all throughout college. But, sacrificed my social life so that I could keep my grades up, lol.
    Ugh...I think I may have to submit a 2 page resume. I have a handful of volunteer positions to briefly discuss, multiple jobs, clubs, etc.
    I wouldn't stress it too much. Most of my friends at t5 schools all submitted resumes that were longer than 4 pages. I think it's alright. Mine is 6 pages as well and I cut out my retail positions. I had several internships, volunteer positions, conference presentations, publications etc. so it adds up. You can use your judgement and ultimately send in what you think is most appropriate.
    2086 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16 That's great to know, thank you!
    2 page CV it is.
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    edited December 2016 893 karma
    Thanks for your thoughts.