Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When you know you cannot finish passage 4

orangebeerorangebeer Alum Member
in General 216 karma
What do you do?
Such as...
only 5-6 min left and you know you cannot answer all of the questions in time.
When would you do?
Try to answer as many questions as you can or go back to previous passages and make them all correct?

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited December 2016 10779 karma
    Well if that happens I try to answer all the big picture questions as quickly as I can. You will be surprised how answering the big questions such as Main point, primary purpose, or passage organization can go super fast.

Then I would focus on easy questions such as those where the question directly tells you to go and gives you a line reference.

But in all I would say at this point of prep this is okay but if that keeps happening to you it does signify that you are not skipping the hard questions in other passages fast enough and you need to drill good skipping strategy in RC. It may also be that you are taking too long to read a passage or just to even answer the easy questions. So I would record myself and try to analyze what exactly is going on and do some drilling to fix that issue.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27830 karma
    It's definitely not an ideal situation, but there is a lot of damage control you can do with 5-6 minutes. You've got to read the passage quickly: Just read it, 2 to 3 minutes. Then just answer the questions without agonizing over anything. Read them and answer them, nothing else. If you have a little time left after that, you'll have to assess what is the most productive course of action from there. That's usually pretty clear though. The results may be a little rough, but before I got my pacing down on RC, I was always surprised how well I did in this situation. A rough once over on the last passage will definitely beat a 5-6 minute review on the previous 3 though. Just stay calm, don't panic, and get through it.
  • TheLoftGuyTheLoftGuy Alum Member
    edited December 2016 690 karma
    I must admit that the 7Sage method of reading the passage once than answering the questions without going back REALLY works for me. That's why I feel like I killed RC because I got through all 4 passages and was comfortable with the material. But before I used this method I would read as fast as I could than answer as many as I could than spend the last 15 seconds guessing. My RC avg has improved 8+
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I second what @Sami and @"Cant Get Right" have said above. It's not ideal; but there certainly are strategies that you can implement to mitigate the amount of guesses you'll be forced to take.