Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Usc?

CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
in General 1270 karma

I went to Top undergrad known for having a tough curve. I double majored (math and Econ), am a urm. I have an exact 3.0 gpa. I took the lsat in dec and got a 160. I was pt-ing high at a 168/169 and just bombed that day. I’m retaking in feb. I spoke to the and they say taking the feb test significantly hurts my chances of admission. What min score would I need to overcome that? And are scholarships now not in play? Their avg is 165 and 75% is a 166.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Feb2018Taker said:
    I went to Top undergrad known for having a tough curve. I double majored (math and Econ), am a urm. I have an exact 3.0 gpa. I took the lsat in dec and got a 160. I was pt-ing high at a 168/169 and just bombed that day. I’m retaking in feb. I spoke to the and they say taking the feb test significantly hurts my chances of admission. What min score would I need to overcome that? And are scholarships now not in play? Their avg is 165 and 75% is a 166.

What type of URM are you? (African American, Latinx, Native American)

They [USC admissions] specifically said taking in Feb would hurt your chances?

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

Wait why would it hurt your chances..

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

Mexican. And yes, they dropped the “at a significant disadvantage” bomb on the website.

1270 karma

I know urm would help out. But since I was testing so high, and now as solid 170, I feel like I should retake

1270 karma

Because it’s late. I’m taking retaking in 3 weeks

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

If I were you, I might make a plan like this:

-Submit application at the end of January.
    -Include an addendum saying that you believe you underperformed on the December test and that your recent practice tests were in the upper 160s. You are applying now for expediency's sake but will also re-take the test in February.

Basically, you want your worst-case scenario to be that they wait-list you. If they outright reject you, generally that is the end of the road for this cycle. But hopefully with an addendum, if they are inclined to deny you but you give them a reason to think that test might be a fluke, they will waitlist or hold your app for the February score to come in and be re-considered.

I'm certainly not an admissions expert though and it's subjective. I think that would be my plan if I were in your position though. The later you submit the application, the less likelihood you'll get admission or scholarship. But maybe hold your app just a little bit so that they don't receive it until closer to the Feb test date. And then submit it with a short addendum.

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

I mean technically, for all schools Feb is a disadvantage because of the timeline. But if they accept it, they accept it. Focus on test and be undeniable.

You worked hard. You'll be rewarded either way.

Namaste.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    If I were you, I might make a plan like this:

-Submit application at the end of January.
    -Include an addendum saying that you believe you underperformed on the December test and that your recent practice tests were in the upper 160s. You are applying now for expediency's sake but will also re-take the test in February.

Basically, you want your worst-case scenario to be that they wait-list you. If they outright reject you, generally that is the end of the road for this cycle. But hopefully with an addendum, if they are inclined to deny you but you give them a reason to think that test might be a fluke, they will waitlist or hold your app for the February score to come in and be re-considered.

I'm certainly not an admissions expert though and it's subjective. I think that would be my plan if I were in your position though. The later you submit the application, the less likelihood you'll get admission or scholarship. But maybe hold your app just a little bit so that they don't receive it until closer to the Feb test date. And then submit it with a short addendum.

On second thought, I don't think I'd write an addendum because just basically saying "I could have done better" isn't necessarily addendum-worthy. But I'd submit the app still late January and then maybe send a follow up email explaining that you are registered for the February test and are ok with them reviewing the application now but want them to be aware that you will have another score forthcoming. Hopefully that will incline them to waitlist instead of deny if they are thinking about that.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Feb2018Taker said:
    Mexican. And yes, they dropped the “at a significant disadvantage” bomb on the website.

Wait, so they said that to you on the phone or they put that on the website and you read it there? Your OP makes it hard to tell.

Anyway, to answer you original question, according to myLSN, I think a high 160s score (167-169) would likely be enough to offset you being later in the cycle and your GPA.

1270 karma

Alex: It said it on the website, then I called to verify. They echoed what was said on the website. I feel the same way. A 167+ would should offset it. I think they are basically saying they want only above average stats at that point. Anything avg or below is a no go.

PS I saw on a different discussion your possibly taking a pre-1L prep class for an "advantage." I respect your hustle!

Trustbutverify: No doubt. Be undeniable. I love the reminder.

Leah: I appreciate the thoughtful comment, and follow up. The problem is my score is too low to feel good about applying now. I'm absolutely certain that score is the bottom of my range. The real kicker is about scholarships. I live in LA and don't want to move. So I was willing to take a hit rankings wise for location/scholarships. Otherwise with a top Ivy League degree, and 168+ (on my PT's), I'd apply to the T14's. Now I'm worried about just getting in. So as always, it comes to do your best and see what happens. And if I remember right, you were debating to apply now or next cycle, correct? So good luck to you! Apply, and see what happens!

• lcmhomeslcmhomes Alum Member
    27 karma

Hmmm..can I throw in my .02 cents? Aside from being a realtor (16+ yrs), I also drive Lyft in the evenings and weekends when I'm not having to show houses or hold an open house. Fortunately enough, I frequently get connected with law students when driving and always make it a point to hear about their experiences getting through the admission process. Definitely, never a dull moment. If USC gave you that suggestion, then I would take it and just continue through the law admission process without having to take the Feb exam. There are "only" 2 ways to look at it...they may or may not give your 2 thumbs up..you will either get accepted or not. If not, hopefully there are others who would love to have you as their student and you may even get accepted. I think you're personal statement will share your passion for why you're pursing a law degree. I know that if I'm not scoring high enough to move fwd with Feb's test, I may have to postpone it til June; my target score...165-170. Good thing I have 7-Sage!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Feb2018Taker said:
    Alex: It said it on the website, then I called to verify. They echoed what was said on the website. I feel the same way. A 167+ would should offset it. I think they are basically saying they want only above average stats at that point. Anything avg or below is a no go.

PS I saw on a different discussion your possibly taking a pre-1L prep class for an "advantage." I respect your hustle!

I honestly think with a 165-167 score range, you'll end up being fine. They're going to want high LSAT scores and URM candidates no matter how late you apply. I think you'll actually be alright!

Thanks man! Hustle is all I know :sunglasses:

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

Are you planning on applying by the priority deadline or in April?

1270 karma

By priority so they know I’m interested now, and to get the fee waiver. But it says applications not complete by feb 1 are at a significant disadvantage. So that factor still applies

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

@Feb2018Taker said:
    By priority so they know I’m interested now, and to get the fee waiver. But it says applications not complete by feb 1 are at a significant disadvantage. So that factor still applies

Ok, yea. I was asking because I'm in the same boat as you. I'm applying to USC but going to retake in February. I was also scoring in the high 160's during PT's but scored in the low 160's in the December LSAT.

A section in the application asks whether the LSAT score accurately reflects your potential as a law school student, and I took the opportunity there to let them know I will be retaking in February.

That beings said, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Good luck to you!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Apologies if i am overlooking something but have you considered waiting out a cycle. Even if you got a higher score on February, you would be worse off than if you waited a cycle and applied with that new score and applied as soon as apps opened. Also, this situation will give you added stress and pressure to an exam that is already difficult. With a 168/169 score, you could be in serious contention for top 14 law schools too

1270 karma

I hear you on the pressure part. It I’m right there in terms of getting the score I want/need. Usc is my number 1 choice, because I want to stay in la and the la market. There’s no question waiting a cycle would put me in a better standing app wise, and scholarship wise, but I would rather apply now and not wait a year. And at the worse try now and see what happens. Fingers crossed!

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Apologies if i am overlooking something but have you considered waiting out a cycle. Even if you got a higher score on February, you would be worse off than if you waited a cycle and applied with that new score and applied as soon as apps opened. Also, this situation will give you added stress and pressure to an exam that is already difficult. With a 168/169 score, you could be in serious contention for top 14 law schools too

Just to piggy back a little bit. If you do end up delaying a cycle, I would suggest applying to UCLA, Texas and some T14s. Even if USC is where you know you want to go, admits and scholarships $$, very possible with a 168-170, could be very useful for negotiating up your offer from USC.

Also, curious why UCLA isn't a contender for your if LA is where you want to be??

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@Feb2018Taker best of luck! Im a socal resident too so i understand your sentiment of wanting to stay. I hope you get the Rothman. From what I hear, you need a 170+ for that scholarship. It would be a great opportunity for you :)

@Feb2018Taker said:
    I hear you on the pressure part. It I’m right there in terms of getting the score I want/need. Usc is my number 1 choice, because I want to stay in la and the la market. There’s no question waiting a cycle would put me in a better standing app wise, and scholarship wise, but I would rather apply now and not wait a year. And at the worse try now and see what happens. Fingers crossed!

1270 karma

Thank you all! Getting the Rothman would be a dream. UCLA is great too. I just like USC's environment and campus a little more, I live by it, I think ultimately tuition with aid will be lower, and I think in LA it opens up the same doors. So USC = #1. But I do like the scholarship leverage advice about applying to some t14 schools. I will seriously consider that now.