Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please help- What does this mean?! Second review?

HereisSaraHereisSara Alum Member
edited January 2018 in Law School Admissions 65 karma

7 sagers or other experts...

Please help. I just received this email from one of the law schools I've applied to last month. I don't know what this means?
It's the first update I've heard back from a law school I've applied to.
The email said "this is a normal step" and "not a wait list" ?

What does this mean exactly? IF it's not a wait list, what is it exactly? Isn't being placed on "Hold" mean wait list? Why a second review? Please help!

"Your application for admission has been reviewed, however, a final decision cannot be made at this time. Your application has been placed on "Hold" pending a second review. This is a normal step in our process and not a Wait List.
Due to the number of worthy applications we receive each year, decisions do not always come easily. Your application will be re-evaluated at a later date for a decision. We will keep you posted on your status.
We appreciate your patience and the time you took to apply. You may continue to monitor the status of your application by logging on to our website. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office."

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Usually law schools describe their application process on their website. An app may go thru 2 separate admissions committees before a final decision is made.

• HereisSaraHereisSara Alum Member
    65 karma

@"surfy surf" Do you know what those two separate admissions committees are/do? Just so nervous. Thank you for your reply

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

It means they want to see who else applies. It’s not an awful thing, but it also isn’t something to be stoked about

65 karma

@10000019 thanks for your reply. Is there anything I can or should do to see if I can improve my chances of getting accepted? I know the email states it's not a wait list...but should I send in a LOCI? Or should I just wait? Thanks so much for your help.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@HereisSara, You may want to write an LOCI.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

If I got an email like that I would definetly write back with a LOCI. I'd want them to know that they are my first choice (if true) and why they should accept me. Good luck!!

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I wouldn’t write an LOCI. I would send in any optional responses you haven’t completed.

5254 karma

Is this school one of your top choices or was it just kind of on your school list?

65 karma

@lsatplaylist it's one of my top choices! Any suggestion/thoughts on what you think I should do? The email said "this is not a wait list" so should I hold back on writing LOCI?

5254 karma

@HereisSara, Maybe pose the question to Nathan and Ben at: help@thinkinglsat.com. They have lots of good ideas for scenarios like this. I'm not an expert, but just for peace of mind, at this point, I'd personally have a draft of a possible LOCI ready. Just some ideas here--again, I'm not an expert, but it seems like it would be good to say you're grateful they're reviewing your application and mention some things that draw you to the law school and what you're looking forward to hopefully participating in there.