Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is that LSATMax watch banned?

ColleenieMartiniColleenieMartini Alum Member
in General 11 karma

I was just checking out some “LSAT watches” as they have a bezel with marks going from 0-35. I know some watches such as those with chronographs have been banned, however this appears to be a traditional watch only with LSAT section length bezel. I thought this could prove helpful, because honestly I can hardly tell time let alone breath when taking certain sections.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

The LSATMax one isn't banned, so you're still able to use it.

But people have reported having problems with them because proctors aren't trained to be able to distinguish between a 180 watch and an LSATMax one.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I don't think it is. With a special watch you always run the risk of a proctor that erroneously forbids the watch. I didn't have any problem using my Toptier Custom LSAT Watch for LSAT Exam Prep.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited December 2017 4423 karma

@ColleenieMartini said:
    I was just checking out some “LSAT watches” as they have a bezel with marks going from 0-35. I know some watches such as those with chronographs have been banned, however this appears to be a traditional watch only with LSAT section length bezel. I thought this could prove helpful, because honestly I can hardly tell time let alone breath when taking certain sections.

It should be allowed, but proctors may not think it is. I don't think a LSAT bezel provides any advantage over a normal inconspicuous bezel. That is both the reason why it should be allowed and you should not get it.

Get a Casio diving watch with a bezel. Mine worked great. It was easier to turn the bezel between sections than pulling out the pin to turn it between sections.

This was the one I used. If people count on it to keep running and tracking time hundereds of feet under water so they don't run out of air, it will work for the LSAT. Take a highlighter and put a mark on the 35 minute mark if it helps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005JVP0DC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514582955&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=casio+dive+watch&dpPl=1&dpID=51DFYwuBt4L&ref=plSrch

• cynnnnnncynnnnnn Free Trial Member
    26 karma

I used this one when I took it in December and it was fine.

https://www.perfectscorewatch.com/

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

It's allowed!

Allowed (but some proctors mistakenly think it's chronograph):
    Perfect Score Watch Version 4 for LSAT Exam Prep $19.99 http://a.co/iOxz0tv
    35-Min Watch Timer for the LSAT w/ Bezel by LSATMax $22.99 http://a.co/hosv1df
    Toptiertimer Custom Bezel LSAT Approved Analog Watch $24.99 http://a.co/9oBjT36

Banned (chronograph):
    The 180Watch $69.99 http://180watch.com
    Mastermind Watch $68.99 https://mastermindwatch.com

BEST BUY (recommended by J.Y.):
    Casio Men's MRW200H-7EV Sport Resin Watch (with a rotating bezel) $15.90 http://a.co/hnGTDaT

• ML_LSAT_KillaML_LSAT_Killa Alum Member
    267 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" thank you for the recommendation! I just ordered it...comes to me on Wednesday :)

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

So when you used the Casio, did you turn back the watch to 12 each time and also rotate the bezel? Some of the videos (for divers) make it look overly complicated, but I've only used it for telling time so far.

• Mick SummersMick Summers Free Trial Member
    3 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    So when you used the Casio, did you turn back the watch to 12 each time and also rotate the bezel? Some of the videos (for divers) make it look overly complicated, but I've only used it for telling time so far.

No, you do not need to do both. In fact, it is much easier to simply turn the bezel. It’s used this way, for divers (like me), to be able to keep accurate time while easily being able to calculate your bottom time for dive tables. When you turn the bezel to the minute hand, this becomes your new ‘12’.

With that being said, if it is going to throw you off during test day, go with what you know.

Cheers.

edited December 2017 4423 karma

@lsatplaylist said:

@"Mick Summers" has it exactly right. You just rotate the bezel so the arrow is in line with the minute hand at the start of the section. When the minute hand gets to 35 minutes on the bezel your time will be up.

It is plenty simple enough for us non-divers too.

5254 karma

Thanks to you both for responding. I'm glad it's a one-step process. I'll practice it so it gets more familiar. Youtube has 10 minute videos for divers on watch bezels, as I recall. :)

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

Totally. For the December take, my proctor was ruthless.
    They confiscated tons of perfectly legal watches. I had the Casio Dive watch (I thought the black and white was cutest) and the proctor approached me about it, but I was like "naw, this doesn't even had stopwatch capabilities."

Had me shook.

• ML_LSAT_KillaML_LSAT_Killa Alum Member
    267 karma

@"nicolas.saw" said:
    They confiscated tons of perfectly legal watches. I had the Casio Dive watch (I thought the black and white was cutest) and the proctor approached me about it, but I was like "naw, this doesn't even had stopwatch capabilities."

Had me shook.

hahaha as I began to read the second line of your comment...I got sooooo scared for a fraction of a second. I read the first sentence and noticed Casio Dive prematurely omg if they were to not allow that one that would be crazy!! you passed on the shook to me lol...I just ordered the black and orange\gold one @"Seeking Perfection" linked above.

5254 karma

@"nicolas.saw", Did people contact the LSAC afterwards? I'm glad you explained that your watch met the requirements. I would've been shaken as well, and I'm glad you found the words to make things better.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"nicolas.saw" said:

Had me shook.

:joy: "Had me shook" lmao

Dude, out of the 6 friends of mine who took the December test, three had issues with legal watches. Although I enjoy the convenience of LSAT watches, I think I would recommend that everyone use a normal watch w/ a rotating bezel or one that works for you. Too many stories floating around of proctors confiscating watches. Even if they don't, you don't want to be shook before the test. Glad it worked out nicely for you though!

711 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    @"nicolas.saw", Did people contact the LSAC afterwards? I'm glad you explained that your watch met the requirements. I would've been shaken as well, and I'm glad you found the words to make things better.

Probably. I didn't stick around to talk to anyone though. Everyone who took the test at my location was very sad afterwards.

Extra sad: if they confiscate a legal watch, LSAC will AT MOST give you a free retake. Despite fucking your application timeline up.

@ML_LSAT_Killa said:

@"nicolas.saw" said:

Had me shook.

hahaha as I began to read the second line of your comment...I got sooooo scared for a fraction of a second. I read the first sentence and noticed Casio Dive prematurely omg if they were to not allow that one that would be crazy!! you passed on the shook to me lol...I just ordered the black and orange\gold one @"Seeking Perfection" linked above.

Yeah, I think the proctor was weirded out because I kept looking at my watch and would rotate the bezel in-between sections. After the proctor tried to take it away, I swear I was trying to be extra safe, like rotating the bezel underneath the table and stuff. It worked out fine. That is a perfectly fine watch to use.

• g00g00shg00g00sh Member
    119 karma

I bought the one that JY recommended from Amazon and it works great. It's not an LSAT specific watch, but it has a bezel that's easy to set. That's all you need. It's a CASIO and costs like $20.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Max_henry91 said:
    I bought the one that JY recommended from Amazon and it works great. It's not an LSAT specific watch, but it has a bezel that's easy to set. That's all you need. It's a CASIO and costs like $20.

Yeah I've been using that same one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JVP0FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great, easy to use/reset, and 100% permitted.

I always felt like LSAT watches were a scam anyways, lol

• g00g00shg00g00sh Member
    119 karma

@"Alex Divine" Yup! I'm done with the LSAT now and I STILL wear it! ;)

4423 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@Max_henry91 said:

Yeah I've been using that same one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JVP0FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great, easy to use/reset, and 100% permitted.

I always felt like LSAT watches were a scam anyways, lol

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005JVP0DC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514582955&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=casio+dive+watch&dpPl=1&dpID=51DFYwuBt4L&ref=plSrch

$12.89 vs $16.99.
    Talk about a scam.

Just joking. Some people thin that one is a little easier to see with the white background. I preferred the aesthetic of the black and gold though. Functionally they are the same and Casio's are more reliable, cheaper, and less likely to be confiscated by a bad proctor than LSAT specific watches.

711 karma

I prefer to use a sun dial.

711 karma

Do you think these are banned?

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@"nicolas.saw" said:

Slightly related note, I wanted to bring an hourglass. Turns out that is prohibited :'(

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Should be fine. But u should use the casio

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@10000019 said:

@"nicolas.saw" said:

Slightly related note, I wanted to bring an hourglass. Turns out that is prohibited :'(

Makes sense, you obviously could write out notes on the grains of sand, so you can see tips as they fall through. lol

In any case - yes I can't stress enough that people should just get the Casio watch. Yes, maybe the LSAT watches are a little bit better. But you know what's best? Not having your watch confiscated. I'd take that every time over a color coded stopwatch. I have the women's version of the Casio and I actually really like it - forgot to take it off after a few study sessions, and I just think (for what it is) it's kinda cute. I got it in white. I did see the suggestion in another group though that everyone get the men's. Since it's larger, it's a bit easier to read. But, whatever floats your boat. I don't have a problem with the women's.

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Womens-LRW200H-7E2VCF-Diver-Look-White/dp/B00791QYFI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514923980&sr=8-2&keywords=women's+casio+rotating+bezel+watch

711 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@10000019 said:

@"nicolas.saw" said:

Makes sense, you obviously could write out notes on the grains of sand, so you can see tips as they fall through. lol

In any case - yes I can't stress enough that people should just get the Casio watch. Yes, maybe the LSAT watches are a little bit better. But you know what's best? Not having your watch confiscated. I'd take that every time over a color coded stopwatch. I have the women's version of the Casio and I actually really like it - forgot to take it off after a few study sessions, and I just think (for what it is) it's kinda cute. I got it in white. I did see the suggestion in another group though that everyone get the men's. Since it's larger, it's a bit easier to read. But, whatever floats your boat. I don't have a problem with the women's.

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Womens-LRW200H-7E2VCF-Diver-Look-White/dp/B00791QYFI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514923980&sr=8-2&keywords=women's+casio+rotating+bezel+watch

Damn. That one's fresh. I'm having post-LSAT regrets over not getting that one. :P

• kimw2015kimw2015 Member
    81 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" @"Leah M B" do the Casios tic loudly?

• bobjon1293bobjon1293 Alum Member
    269 karma

@kimw2015 said:

No. I have a similar Casio bezel watch, and you can hear it tick only if it's held up right next to your ear canal.

4423 karma

@yahejazi said:

@kimw2015 said:

No. I have a similar Casio bezel watch, and you can hear it tick only if it's held up right next to your ear canal.

Yeah, there is a tick, but in a room with any noise at all(like the testing room), you would probably have to hold it up to your ear to hear it.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I've never been able to hear any tick from it, maybe if you held it up right next to your ear. It's very quiet though.

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

Im going with a TIMEX and the proctor gonna respect my hustle.