Redacted

1000001910000019 Alum Member
edited April 2020 in Off-topic 3279 karma

Redacted

Comments

• keishabarnes95keishabarnes95 Alum Member
    59 karma

Well I joined a facebook group because my undergrad university facebook group is how I met my best friend. They are super helpful when looking for roommates and an easy way of meeting current students. They normally give you updated information about the school sometimes, and is another great place to get immediate answers to any questions you might have. I say go for it! I'm still waiting for answers from a few other schools before I made a final decision, and joined the facebook group of the school I've been currently accepted into anyway. So, go for it. Once classes start you can always delete your facebook because by then you would have already made connections.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@10000019 said:
    I applied ED to a school and was accepted. There is a Facebook group that accepted students can join. I don't have a Facebook account, and am debating whether I should make one for the purpose of joining the group. To those of you who have joined accepted student Facebook groups, are they worth joining? Are they active?

Thanks,

I'm not on Facebook either but if I got into a school and they had an accepted students group I would definetly join. I think it would be worth it to get other students thoughs, ideas, tips.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

They're also a good place to ask questions of current students, chat about visit day logistics and other stuff related to admissions and deciding which school to attend. Definitely worthwhile IMHO

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Just remember the "nothing you wouldn't want your grandma seeing" rule, though.

• lTexlawzlTexlawz Free Trial Member
    277 karma

I would stay off Facebook. It has become a place that is not welcoming.It is better to meet in person with groups from the school directly rather than Facebook.Plus,you can make yourself a target that are on Facebook for people that can do really bad things like post your address and your home phone on Facebook if they get a hold of it through illicit means and cause a great deal of harm to you. Facebook should be called Crimebook. People have actually gotten death threats other people on Facebook.

I will tell of an incident that happen to a friend of mine with Facebook. There was this guy on Facebook that was harassing my friend and got his address and phone number through illicit means.

The bad guy from Facebook that was harassing my friend and followed through with the threat from a friend I knew and the bad guy pulled out a firearm and shot at my friend who was not armed at their home. The police came out and had a standoff with the bad guy. The gunman was arrested and charged.

Facebook is lawless. I am sorry to say that but it is. I know it is not politically correct to tell the truth. But telling the truth means whole lot especially in this day and age where your safety and well-being are concerned. Better to be safe and honest than politically correct and dead. Meet the group at the school or the group at public place like your favorite restaurant or at the law school.

• chicarysschicaryss Alum Member
    143 karma

I would create a Facebook with the barest minimum of personal info possible and join to see if it will be useful. There’s always the option to shut it down if you don’t like it.

5254 karma

Yes, and don't make your phone number public on there. And feel free to discontinue being on there if you see inappropriate stuff happening.

5254 karma

@lsatsniper, That's a scary story, but you're definitely right that the site doesn't have much regulation.

I'm assuming it's a private FB group?

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

I think they are worth joining for sure. I plan on doing so myself once I decide on a school. I think they can be helpful in finding a place to live and figuring out some ins and outs of the new city (if you're moving to go to law school, which I probably will) it's also helpful for study groups in the future!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Yeah it seems like doxxing is really common.. kinda reminds me when people call the police and direct them to a streamers house and tell them that he or she has a bomb

@LSATSniper said:
    I would stay off Facebook. It has become a place that is not welcoming.It is better to meet in person with groups from the school directly rather than Facebook.Plus,you can make yourself a target that are on Facebook for people that can do really bad things like post your address and your home phone on Facebook if they get a hold of it through illicit means and cause a great deal of harm to you. Facebook should be called Crimebook. People have actually gotten death threats other people on Facebook.

I will tell of an incident that happen to a friend of mine with Facebook. There was this guy on Facebook that was harassing my friend and got his address and phone number through illicit means.

The bad guy from Facebook that was harassing my friend and followed through with the threat from a friend I knew and the bad guy pulled out a firearm and shot at my friend who was not armed at their home. The police came out and had a standoff with the bad guy. The gunman was arrested and charged.

Facebook is lawless. I am sorry to say that but it is. I know it is not politically correct to tell the truth. But telling the truth means whole lot especially in this day and age where your safety and well-being are concerned. Better to be safe and honest than politically correct and dead. Meet the group at the school or the group at public place like your favorite restaurant or at the law school.

5254 karma

Also, maybe ask Admissions if they can set you up with a recent grad or a 2L or 3L, maybe both an alum and a current student and focus on the networking with them more than the admitted students group so you hopefully get more real info and less gossip.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited February 2018 4196 karma

I think it could be nice to be part of a FB group if it private/secret.

It could also be very useful. For example, I've heard that Duke does many things when it comes to career services via the FB c/o group. So idk, it could be worth it to make a FB but just be careful with it. Yes, the doxxing/swatting stuff is real and could happen to anyone, but people can get your info without FB honestly, it's not a hard thing to do if you have the internet and half a brain. FB might assist them if you are literally posting your life every second of the day and accept the entire world as a friend, but if you just keep to yourself and only stick to your class' group, you should be fine, imo.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry for the delay; I just remembered that I forgot to acknowledge all the comments.

I decided I'm going to make a Facebook soon.