Rising-Senior Summer Internship

cornfield.xcornfield.x Free Trial Member
edited February 2018 in General 38 karma

Hey friends,

I am a junior from a top 15 school, with approximately 3.90 gpa double majoring in Cognitive Science and Sociology, with a minor in Philosophy. I want to go to law school directly after graduation. In the past summer, I interned in a renowned firm and did some paralegal work. This semester, I participated in a political campaign. I originally planned to take LSAT this Saturday but I know I am not fully prepared, so I withdrew. Now, I can get around 165 and kinda stagnate here. My ultimate goal is 175 and get into T6. I know LSAT is so important. Should I spend this coming summer studying for LSAT? or should I look for a summer internship? I'm so afraid if law schools ask me "what did you do during your past summer?" during the interview. Looking for suggestions!!

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Realistically, I would say that you should wait a cycle and retake if you want that 175. The jump from 160s to 170s is by far the hardest jump one can make especially if the 160s score isn't close to your original diagnostic. Having a year before you go to law school will help you gain full time work experience and save up, while also having time to study until your get your 175. To get the 175, you would need to average at least in the mid to high 170s.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, put off your test date for awhile. As for the internship, would they be amicable to a PT schedule?

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited February 2018 3652 karma

Great GPA and LSAT score! If you're adamant on going to law school immediately after graduating, then yes of course spend the summer studying. You already have some awesome ECs under your belt. Maybe intern part time over the summer or don't intern at all. Your internship and law admissions will understand that you were studying over the summer for the LSAT. Even if you weren't studying and just chilled all summer, you're not obligated to stuff all of your free time with work. You're in school full time, hence you dont have to explain like, gaps in productivity during school breaks. If you were graduated from school and had year long periods without working then that would have to be explained.

Note -- the law school admissions process is intensive and will take away from your undergrad studies. If you do get the score you desire in the Fall, when will you have time to write your personal statement? Visit schools? Go to law school interviews? If you are admitted, when will you have time to plan for your move and find housing?

• cornfield.xcornfield.x Free Trial Member
    38 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    Great GPA and LSAT score! If you're adamant on going to law school immediately after graduating, then yes of course spend the summer studying. You already have some awesome ECs under your belt. Maybe intern part time over the summer or don't intern at all. Your internship and law admissions will understand that you were studying over the summer for the LSAT. Even if you weren't studying and just chilled all summer, you're not obligated to stuff all of your free time with work. You're in school full time, hence you dont have to explain like, gaps in productivity during school breaks. If you were graduated from school and had year long periods without working then that would have to be explained.

Note -- the law school admissions process is intensive and will take away from your undergrad studies. If you do get the score you desire in the Fall, when will you have time to write your personal statement? Visit schools? Go to law school interviews? If you are admitted, when will you have time to plan for your move and find housing?

@"surfy surf" Thanks for your reply and suggestions! I only have 4-5 classes left and my honor thesis to be finished, so I only need to take 6-9 credits per semester. Being a part-time student might enable me to apply for law school at the same time. Or maybe I underestimate the intensity of law school application. Do you have any suggestions for me to study LSAT from now to the June test? and the overall application at all? Thanks!!!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I would say if you are set on applying for law school right after undergrad, work/intern part time this summer. Honestly, I don't think the LSAT even really can be studied full time. It causes a lot of burn out and it's a really difficult test to cram. I don't think more than about 5 hours or so a day could be spent on it. It'd be good to have something else to do, too.

If you are considering purchasing a course, 7sage is incredible. I would highly, highly recommend it for you. The bigger package you could afford, the more helpful it is. Or, you can start small and upgrade the course along the way. Happy to answer any questions about the curriculum or differences between the packages.

Good luck with everything!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@"cornfield.x" with the part time class schedule I think you will be able to get through the admissions process just fine. It would suck working on your PS during first semester midterms and then later worrying about housing during your last semester while also having to handle like 5 finals, but that isn't the case for you at all.

Take a couple hours a week over the summer or whenever you feel inspired to work on your PS so you don't have to stress too much over it while you're in school.