Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum Suggestion: save/bookmark specific comments in a post

Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
edited February 2018 in Technical Problems 1866 karma

Apologies if this is not the right category or if this feature is already available and I'm just not seeing it.

It would be great if there was a way to save or bookmark specific comments within a discussion thread. I know we can follow an entire discussion or quote specific comments/users, but there are some amazing nuggets of advice from members that I would like to save for quick reference without having to dig through threads, etc.
So far I've just been noting advice down and saving comments in a word document, and this is working fine for me, but I thought it would be more convenient to just be able to do that on here directly.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

This is one of my favorite features on the forum :) you see the unfilled star next to the "like" button on your post? just click it and it will be saved to your bookmark tab!

11542 karma

Btw the bookmark tab is found under the forum topic list. I currently have 44 posts saved lol!

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2018 1866 karma

@Sprinkles said:
    Btw the bookmark tab is found under the forum topic list. I currently have 44 posts saved lol!

Hey, thanks for responding!
    I have entire threads saved with the star button, but I'm looking to save specific posts (maybe I'm getting all the lingo wrong, "comments", not "posts"). For example, if I want to save the comment you just made (that I quoted), so I could access it again easily without having to look through this discussion. Similar to how we can "like" specific comments.
    Maybe I need to change my suggest title, lol. ><' Just changed it, haha.

11542 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:

@Sprinkles said:

I have entire threads saved with the star button, but I'm looking to save specific posts (maybe I'm getting all the lingo wrong, "comments", not "posts"). For example, if I want to save the comment you just made (that I quoted), so I could access it again easily without having to look through this discussion. Similar to how we can "like" specific comments.

Ahh I see, yeah the original post/title allowed me to believe you were referring to a thread. I've always wanted to save specific comments but thought I was the only one lol. @"Dillon A. Wright" @"Alan Cheuk" @studentservices eh?

1866 karma

@Sprinkles said:

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:

@Sprinkles said:

Ahh I see, yeah the original post/title allowed me to believe you were referring to a thread. I've always wanted to save specific comments but thought I was the only one lol. @"Dillon A. Wright" @"Alan Cheuk" @studentservices eh?

Yeah, sorry for the confusion! It seems like different forums use different names for each element so I wasn't sure. I guess it's Category > Discussion/Post > Comment?
    But exactly, I think saving threads is great, but there are some threads that have several pages of comments. Among them are those incredibly well-written, especially useful comments that I know I'd like to refer back to often. Glad to see I'm not the only one! :smile:

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:
    Apologies if this is not the right category or if this feature is already available and I'm just not seeing it.

It would be great if there was a way to save or bookmark specific comments within a discussion thread. I know we can follow an entire discussion or quote specific comments/users, but there are some amazing nuggets of advice from members that I would like to save for quick reference without having to dig through threads, etc.
    So far I've just been noting advice down and saving comments in a word document, and this is working fine for me, but I thought it would be more convenient to just be able to do that on here directly.

Yes! I asked about this a while back :) There are great nuggets of wisdom found in threads and I do the same - cut & paste into word and print them. The most relevant to my studies, I taped them to a wall for reference and then I got a binder with dividers for reference depending on the topic.

Edited to add: Hopefully this will add another value added reason to provide this option:
    While that was the best system I could create for my studies, the hardest part was finding posts to reference when answering other 7Sager's questions when I knew that someone had already posted a great response on strategy/tactics that I personally had not employed. (appeal to authority, heehee) It can be a maddening exercise to find those posts to link; many times I have abandoned responding to a question because I was trying to find a needle in a haystack searching through the original poster's comments.

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

@Sprinkles You are one of the most amazing mentors with links and recognition of past comments to help the new generation of 7Sagers. It is uncanny how you can remember who, what, where, when for references!! Wish I had that ability <3

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

+1 I'd like this feature too. like a star button next to comments as well as posts

11542 karma

@twssmith said:
    @Sprinkles You are one of the most amazing mentors with links and recognition of past comments to help the new generation of 7Sagers. It is uncanny how you can remember who, what, where, when for references!! Wish I had that ability <3

Tyler, thank you for your kind words that was really thoughtful and means a lot especially now. <3 Since my thyroid cancer diagnosis I've been struggling heavily with brain fog. Apparently it's a side affect of losing this wonderful gland. It's going to take a bit of time for me to regroup and get back into the swing of things but I will get there :) thanks again.

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

@Sprinkles Take care of yourself and can't wait for the Atl Falcons to play the Bills in the Super Bowl next year!!! :)

11542 karma

@twssmith said:
    @Sprinkles Take care of yourself and can't wait for the Atl Falcons to play the Bills in the Super Bowl next year!!! :)

Thank you! And hahaha we haven't made the Superbowl since the early 90s

1866 karma

@twssmith said:
    Yes! I asked about this a while back :) There are great nuggets of wisdom found in threads and I do the same - cut & paste into word and print them. The most relevant to my studies, I taped them to a wall for reference and then I got a binder with dividers for reference depending on the topic.

Edited to add: Hopefully this will add another value added reason to provide this option:
    While that was the best system I could create for my studies, the hardest part was finding posts to reference when answering other 7Sager's questions when I knew that someone had already posted a great response on strategy/tactics that I personally had not employed. (appeal to authority, heehee) It can be a maddening exercise to find those posts to link; many times I have abandoned responding to a question because I was trying to find a needle in a haystack searching through the original poster's comments.

Same here, it's taken me longer to write posts because I know another comment from another discussion had the perfect advice but I can't find it. I end up summarizing what I remember of the advice to respond, but then feel bad that I can only say, "I read this somewhere on here at some point" in place of giving direct credit to the original "author" of the advice.

@Sprinkles said:
    Tyler, thank you for your kind words that was really thoughtful and means a lot especially now. <3 Since my thyroid cancer diagnosis I've been struggling heavily with brain fog. Apparently it's a side affect of losing this wonderful gland. It's going to take a bit of time for me to regroup and get back into the swing of things but I will get there :) thanks again.

Oh no, that's awful! :worried: Take care of yourself and hope things get better soon!

11542 karma

Thank you kindly @"Habeas Porpoise" :) it will get better!

• studentservicestudentservice Alum Member Administrator Moderator Student Services
    1421 karma

Hey there, as far as I know, there isn't a way to do it. But I'm tagging @"Alan Cheuk" for the official response!

1866 karma

@studentservice said:
    Hey there, as far as I know, there isn't a way to do it. But I'm tagging @"Alan Cheuk" for the official response!

Got it, thank you for looking into it!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited February 2018 9377 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:

@studentservice said:

Got it, thank you for looking into it!

I asked Alan about this, but this feature isn’t available, and as of now we unfortunately can’t customize the Forum like that.

1866 karma

@akistotle said:
    I asked Alan about this,but this feature isn’t available, and as of now we unfortunately can’t customize the Forum like that.

I understand! Thanks for getting back to me. :smile:

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

this would be cool idea!