Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone applying to law school later in life, 2nd Career?

2»

Comments

• cdaddario2cdaddario2 Member
    362 karma

@"C.M. Hethcox" said:
    I'm changing careers after 22 years and trying to cram all of this in hoping to knock this June LSAT out of the park and get accepted for Fall 2018. Just wondering if anyone else out there is in the same situation.

Hey There
    I think I have you all beat. I am 48 years old, studying for the LSAT. I have owned my own company for the last 21 years and am now ready to make a change to the career I always thought I would have.
    Never too old. Keep your mind nimble and ready to learn.

• KanfsimmonsKanfsimmons Alum Member
    8 karma

I am another non-traditional future law student in my 50's. After 30 very successful years in the tech industry, I took the LSAT with only mediocre results. However, I already have one acceptance for Fall 2018 and waiting on another. Neither school is a Tier 1 but at this point it doesn't make sense to take on the debt for a Tier 1 especially when I have one child in college I am paying for and another there shortly. Regardless, after reading an article in AARP about second careers featuring a 65 year old going to law school, it made me realize 50's is not old at all. I have no intention of ever retiring and love to work and help others. Therefore, it is never too late to go after your passion and dream.

• 118 karma

Well, I've been reading all the entries in this thread, thinking, nope! I'm not posting. But now, reading some of the entries, I feel heartened even though, clocking in at... 55, I still take the cake in the age department! I concur with the comments above about perhaps not being remotely capable of envisaging a career in law when I was younger. My trajectory has been in film and literature for decades. I've done well and in some way needed that life. Until now. For the last fifteen or so years, I have also worked as a court interpreter. Over the last year, taking stock of the future, I felt compelled to do apply to law school. Unlike others, I am single and have no children, no attachments. The notion of living another two decades say, and not being engaged with the needs of others really bothered me. I'm healthy and if I say so myself, reasonably bright. Working in the courts for so long has given me some understanding of how the justice system is working currently, and I guess my hope is to work for reform and/or to assist those that don't have the means to hire their own attorneys. All that said, the path ahead is often dauntingly long. The LSAT is such the first step. I'm taking it one piece at a time, but also seeing the end goal gives me courage and motivation and focus. Hoping to apply in 2018 and start in 2019. Fingers crossed. Good luck to all of us!

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

I'm 34 if that helps.

• debs1121debs1121 Alum Member
    59 karma

Yay for all the 50+ year young people going for it! I was thinking I was the oldest to apply at 54; so happy to see I have great company! Good luck to everyone!

• speedwagonspeedwagon Alum Member
    393 karma

What's up! Checking in here. I am in my mid-30s, just hearing back, career changing from performing/theater arts. This is a harrowing process and even more so when I am not sure where I will end up...we will see! Fingers crossed to everyone here and even more to those of you studying with kids, etc. It's such hard work but it will pay off in the end.

• GenXMillennialGenXMillennial Alum Member
    edited February 2018 8 karma

I'm 35 and a visual artist, working full time as an assistant to an established artist. No matter where we are in life, we can do this. My only caveat is to say that performing well on the LSAT can take a lot more time than expected, so try to remain flexible about your timeline. Preparing for the LSAT is a real test of one's commitment. I started prepping in the summer of 2016, thinking I could test in September. My first diagnostic score was a 143. I moved my test date to December, and withdrew after maxing out on PT's at a 159. I enrolled in a prep course a year ago, confident that it would get me ready for the June 2017 exam. After finally scoring consistently in the 161-166 range, I wound up getting strep throat the week of the test, sat for the exam and canceled my score. Finally I tested again in September and got a 154. I still applied to schools this cycle, but am landing on a lot of waiting lists. Resuming my studies again in hopes of being able to get off wait lists with a better score, or positioning myself more strongly to reapply early next cycle. Studying full time will probably improve your chances of making more progress in less time, but the key is to be patient and don't give up!

• todduncan2todduncan2 Member
    edited February 2018 60 karma

University professor w/Ph.D in a hard science. 43 yo. Took LSAT three times. Starting part-time in Fall 2018 and get to keep the very flexible full-time job and benefits so no financial stresses while in school. Many offers with $$ this cycle. Bailed last year due to the debt burden with no scholarships. PT programs eliminate the COL issue and scholarships plus my own $ mean virtually no debt at graduation which turned out to be a major influencing factor for me. The extra 6 months to year to graduation in a PT program well worth the financial savings for me. Preparing for patent bar exam right now to get that out of the way.

• veronica_moniqueveronica_monique Alum Member
    30 karma

After working 13 years as a police officer, I finally found what my passion is. I love to advocate for people. I never fit in with the "cop culture" I just stuck around for the pay check. I have a 16 year old and a 2 year old, both girls. When I was pregnant with my youngest, my passion to do better ignited.I found a new energy and a new passion. Life didnt seem so dull anymore. I bought a Kaplan LSAT prep book while on desk duty 2 years ago, (I didn't know better). My goal is to start law school the year my youngest starts pre k. My oldest would be graduating from high school at that time. The idea that I am too old has crossed my mind and I have even been told I was too old. But the fact of the matter is that somebody will need this old attorney some day....I will be too old when Im dead.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

So many great stories in here! I'm happy for all of you.

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

Age is man-made

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

@"saul.j.slowik" said:
    Same here. I'm 36 years old. I was in the Army up until this past February (medically retired). I was supposed to take the LSAT this past December but operational requirements got in the way.

I always wanted to go to Law School, but got distracted by a job in the Intel Community, which brought me to the Army and ultimately my Masters degree. I'm taking advantage of having uninterrupted time to study between now and June.

Thank you for your service.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Wow I feel young and inexperienced compared to this crowd of impressive and seasoned individuals :)

• C.M. HethcoxC.M. Hethcox Member
    107 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Wow I feel young and inexperienced compared to this crowd of impressive and seasoned individuals :)

Enjoy the youth and inexperience. That's where most of the fun happens.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@"C.M. Hethcox" said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:

Enjoy the youth and inexperience. That's where most of the fun happens.

Thank you! Hopefully law school will be included with that fun :)