Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June Exam

in General 381 karma

So I plan on taking the June exam and read on a few of the schools websites I'd like to attend that those scores are accepted depending on seat availability and some other factors. I don't want to postpone another cycle if I don't have to. My question is should I at least get the applications into those schools so all of that is taken care of when my June score is officially released?

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@ColinTurner610 yes, definitely. That’s cutting it really close and you don’t want anything that my disqualify you if you must start this fall.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

By applying in late June or early July when the results to the score come in you basically sacrafice your ability to negotiate scholarships.

They know that the other schools are likely to be full of students so even if you get in you are likely looking at full cost. This doesn't matter if you can pay or are going to try to get into Harvard, Yale, or Stanford which don't give merit based scholarships.

However, if you are like the rest of us mortals and are trying to go to a law school which maximizes your chances of graduating with a legal job which allows you to fairly comfortably pay your debt (which is hopefully as small as possible), then it seems to me that you probably wait until next cycle for the better negotiating position.

If you do apply this cycle though, I wouldn't worry about having your applications completely ready before the test. I would get my transcripts sent to LSAC and my letters of recommendation sent in by then. You can finish up your apps after the test, before the score release.

Then I would make absolutely sure that I got a fair scholarship offer(using law school numbers to check what other people with similar LSAT and GPA combinations got who applied earlier in the cycle and whether they attended) before going, and would lean in the direction of waiting a cycle

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I emailed and called the schools and asked them how I should handle this. Some are willing to hold my application for the June lsat so long as I apply by their deadline and they all told me it was a risky move in that seats may not be open. Another said to just give them a head's up when I'm ready to file my app in June - very not big deal for them. Another said - no way we don't take June scores. So, I would suggest emailing or calling.

I have to agree with the above comments in that you are sacrificing scholarship points potentially and yes, it is a very risky move to wait until June.