Fool proofing issue - memorizing the answers vs inferences

Mia FairweatherMia Fairweather Alum Member
in Logic Games 221 karma

So I have always had really good memory - which has not helped me on the LSAT but I digress - and I haven't been fool proofing for very long but I do notice that when I fool proof a game I have a tendency to remember what the answers were for certain games even when I am doing a game a week later. I know for fool proofing you're really supposed to focus on memorizing the inferences but my brain can't help it, even after waiting and entire week my brain will still remind me of the correct answer choice and it's making it really difficult to focus on memorizing inferences. Any suggestions?

Comments

• janelleengjanelleeng Alum Member
    154 karma

I am going through the same issue!

• 200 karma

I often have the same issue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't fool-proofing primarily geared towards making inferences and creating your master game board? So, while it's quite natural to remember some of the answers, the important thing is that you are able to make all those deep, time saving inferences before you tackle the questions.

Also, even if you have the answer memorized, it's important to make sure that you are able to prove why that answer is right (even if you already know its right) and the others are wrong. That way, you are more closely approximating what you'd have to do on a test, even though you know the answers ahead of time.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Yeah @"thor.plsn" is correct.

It's like when you're learning calc, you may know the answer to a question is "du = (2x+2) dx" or whatever. But the point is to practice proving that answer. Memorizing the inferences is like memorizing the correct formulas. That's something that is going to help you next time you see a similar game. Whether or not you've inadvertently memorized the correct answers shouldn't matter.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Write out the inferences every time. It doesn't matter if you know the correct answer. It's whether you remember how to get there. A good memory is better simce it will make it easier to memorize the inferences.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Yeah you have to force yourself to go through the process of why you are saying a certain answer is the right one. Also go about finding out exactly why the other ACs are wrong.