Low G.P.A.

cbyrns21cbyrns21 Free Trial Member

When I first attended college from 2007-2009, my G.P.A. took a depressing turn and I accumulatively left that university with a 1.7 overall G.P.A. Fast forward to the last few years, I joined the Air Force and graduated while overseas for three years with a 3.2 G.P.A. Due to unforeseen circumstances with my health, my G.P.A. fell dramatically from a 3.8 to a 3.2 in a span of a year and half. It's very unfortunate because I know of my potential but, some things are just out of your control- that, my friends, is called life. I digress...
My question is, people talk about UGPA and GPA. Will my college GPA from 10 years affect my current GPA? If so, how is that fair? That was over 10 years ago. I know I'll have to write an addendum anyways but, I'm curious if my GPA from 10 years ago is relevant to today's GPA?

Comments

• olioliberolioliber Alum Member
    edited September 2017 729 karma

They'll count everything that makes up your undergraduate gpa. But the easiest way to find out is to upload your transfers to LSAC. LSAC will calculate your gpa. This is the gpa the schools will look at.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Unfortunately yes, it will count.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Yes. That's why I have a 2.7. My GPA from 8 years ago mixed with my 4.0. My amount of bad old credits DESTROYED my GPA...this is why the past haunts people like us

• sabreighasabreigha Alum Member
    10 karma

Im in a similiar situation. Unfortunately it will be taken into consideration. Your options are to get a high lsat score to prove your academic capabilities and/or to include an addendum explaining why your gpa is lower than normal. Hope this helps. Good luck

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

It counts but definitely write an addendum and point out that the low was from X years ago

• cbyrns21cbyrns21 Free Trial Member
    160 karma

@LSATcantwin that disheartens me :neutral: To go from a 4.0 to a 2.7.... how does that compute? Rhetorically speaking, where the heck does that leave me? This is so messed up!

160 karma

So if I write a well written addendum explaining the reasons behind the crappy GPA, will that give me a better chance of them looking at my most recent GPA?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@cbyrns21 said:
    When I first attended college from 2007-2009, my G.P.A. took a depressing turn and I accumulatively left that university with a 1.7 overall G.P.A. Fast forward to the last few years, I joined the Air Force and graduated while overseas for three years with a 3.2 G.P.A. Due to unforeseen circumstances with my health, my G.P.A. fell dramatically from a 3.8 to a 3.2 in a span of a year and half. It's very unfortunate because I know of my potential but, some things are just out of your control- that, my friends, is called life. I digress...
    My question is, people talk about UGPA and GPA. Will my college GPA from 10 years affect my current GPA? If so, how is that fair? That was over 10 years ago. I know I'll have to write an addendum anyways but, I'm curious if my GPA from 10 years ago is relevant to today's GPA?

As others have stated, yes, these grades from 10 years ago will count. It sucks that it was such a long time ago, but I guess it wouldn't be fair to those with high GPAs if they didn't count.

The good news is that admissions will take into consideration that those grades were a long time ago. You can write and addendum to explain that maybe you weren't as mature or whatever problems caused your low GPA. Your distance from the low GPA and military soft will serve you very well.

Focus on getting as high and LSAT as you can and you'll likely still have a shot as some OK schools.

Good luck!!

13286 karma

@cbyrns21 said:
    @LSATcantwin that disheartens me :neutral: To go from a 4.0 to a 2.7.... how does that compute? Rhetorically speaking, where the heck does that leave me? This is so messed up!

You're right with me and all the other splitters. We are not shut out from our goal schools but we have to work extra hard to get in. The three most important things for us are:

1.) LSAT score, show them we are capable of studying by giving them a high score. This is where we have to make up the most lost ground.

2.) show them an upward trend. Like for me, my F's and FN's stopped after the Marine Corps. I have a 4.0 degree GPA for two years of school after the military. It shows them im serious and that I have changed in a positive way.

3.) time and softs. We need to show the schools that those grades are not who we are. You need to write a killer addendum and personal statement, the military is a huge soft, and any other work/life experience helps.

We have to show them that we have changed AND that we are capable of what everyone else is. This is why it's a bigger challenge for us. It's not impossible and do not get disheartened. Work harder! You got this.

• zehrafaryalzehrafaryal Member
    8 karma

I totally relate to low CGPA, will i have a chance of getting into a law school with a 2.41 cgpa and a high Lsat score ?

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    edited September 2017 903 karma

Seems there is a lot of us. I just got my LSAC gpa, its a 2.17, bad grades from fall of 2003 prior to the USMC and bad grades from 2009/2010 right after the military is haunting me now. Like everyone is saying, it seems that a killer LSAT is necessary. I have a meeting with admissions at my target school next month and I'm going to speak with them about it.

Just gotta get that 170+!

160 karma

@"Paul Pederson" sometimes life gets in the way, ultimately affecting our GPA. In certain circumstances beyond our control, it shouldn't be held against us. The USMC, any military branch for that matter, is very demanding emotionally, physically, and mentally. To even attempt college while in the trenches (pun intended) is incredibly commendable. I'm banking on my personal statement to help me out. I can tell you right now that my LSAT is not a 170. I'm hoping for the 150s. I may just take it again in December if I did poorly. I'll be calling my schools tomorrow and asking them about my scenario.

• rene4231rene4231 Alum Member
    162 karma

I went through the initially panic of what I thought my GPA would be to what LSAC calculated it to be.. I lost my father and brother (and grandmother) during my undergraduate studies, plus I just had heart surgery (ps I'm fine now!). I cannot stress the importance of a well written addendum and great LSAT. It's hard to remember that the admissions committee are human beings. They will account for what you've experienced and look at grade trends as well!

160 karma

@rene4231 I'm so sorry to hear about your family! I'd say for us to even continue our education during major traumatic life events speaks volumes of our character. I wish you all the best in your law school journey!

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

Splitters UNITE haha!

• batstephbatsteph Alum Member
    6 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    Yes. That's why I have a 2.7. My GPA from 8 years ago mixed with my 4.0. My amount of bad old credits DESTROYED my GPA...this is why the past haunts people like us

necro-ing a little because these are my exact numbers (it was even eight years ago lmao)

Did you apply this cycle? How'd things go?

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Im a bit higher but still a splitter. Mines almost 18 years old and it can be souls crushing especially with 2 Masters at 4.0... that count for Zero...

The biggest thing is to hit that 75% LSAT number to get in... but so far my experience has been the GPA still costs me 10-40k in scholarship $$$.

I helped tutor someone and they ended up with the same LSAT but they have a 3.8 UGPA so we are great comparisons. Only 1 school didn't penalize me for my GPA compared to him.

13286 karma

@batsteph said:

@LSATcantwin said:

necro-ing a little because these are my exact numbers (it was even eight years ago lmao)

Hey, I did apply this cycle. So far I have not heard from almost every school I've applied to.

I've been wait-listed at U.Mich though, so I am placing a lot of my hope and effort on getting myself in off that list.

• splitter_sagasplitter_saga Free Trial Member
    60 karma

@stepharizona said:
    Im a bit higher but still a splitter. Mines almost 18 years old and it can be souls crushing especially with 2 Masters at 4.0... that count for Zero...

The biggest thing is to hit that 75% LSAT number to get in... but so far my experience has been the GPA still costs me 10-40k in scholarship $$$.

I helped tutor someone and they ended up with the same LSAT but they have a 3.8 UGPA so we are great comparisons. Only 1 school didn't penalize me for my GPA compared to him.

so you have had good admission results at schools where you are above the 75th lsat and just not good scholarship results?

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Yes, even scholarships have been good but a higher GPA would have made things really good.

I have one full ride and good/ave money from most others (Emory, Alabama, GW, Fordham). But like BU for example. I was offered 60k with my stats and my friend same LSAT 166 but his GPA is a 3.8 and he was offered $120k. Whereas most other schools were only 10k-$30k apart that's the biggest difference.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@cbyrns21 said:
    So if I write a well written addendum explaining the reasons behind the crappy GPA, will that give me a better chance of them looking at my most recent GPA?

They'll never really look past it.

The addendum explains it for them and tells them you'll be just fine in law school. The admissions people are not dumb so they know the extremely old bad grades are not representative once you explain them well.

However, fundamentally they are trying to increase their school's rank. They can't afford to ignore a bad LSAT score or GPA since those factor in. Therefore, if you get an above median or above 75th LSAT they'll probably let you in. There will be lots of splitters people with high LSATs and low GPAs and they will want to take some of them to boost their LSAT median. If you have a good reason for the low GPA like millitary service then they will pick you as the someone. They won't give you the same scholarship as if you had an above median GPA too because they can always just get one of the other splitters they choose you over and have the same effect on their medians and therefore rank.

Law schools are slaves to US News rankings which look at LSAC GPA and LSAT score. They only get a little leeway to exercise good judgement.

edited March 2018 13286 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@cbyrns21 said:

They'll never really look past it.

The addendum explains it for them and tells them you'll be just fine in law school. The admissions people are not dumb so they know the extremely old bad grades are not representative once you explain them well.

However, fundamentally they are trying to increase their school's rank. They can't afford to ignore a bad LSAT score or GPA since those factor in. Therefore, if you get an above median or above 75th LSAT they'll probably let you in. There will be lots of splitters people with high LSATs and low GPAs and they will want to take some of them to boost their LSAT median. If you have a good reason for the low GPA like millitary service then they will pick you as the someone. They won't give you the same scholarship as if you had an above median GPA too because they can always just get one of the other splitters they choose you over and have the same effect on their medians and therefore rank.

Law schools are slaves to US News rankings which look at LSAC GPA and LSAT score. They only get a little leeway to exercise good judgement.

Haha I love this post, except IDK if military service is enough! That's where my bad grades are explained - (along with some other things) - and I'm still "on hold" at all schools....

Get good grades kid, they will follow you even a decade later...

Put me out of this waiting misery! lol

• iHateTheLSATiHateTheLSAT Alum Member
    34 karma

Asking for a friend, he has a 2.7 GPA and 150 LSAT score. Does he have a chance of getting in to any schools?

13286 karma

@cdokladny said:
    Asking for a friend, he has a 2.7 GPA and 150 LSAT score. Does he have a chance of getting in to any schools?

Yes, he has a chance to get into SOME law school.

The question is much larger than that though. What law schools is he looking at? Does he have a plan for the cost of law school? Is he looking to practice local? Big-law? Is he looking for top-14 schools?

The conventional advice for a splitter is to get the LSAT as high as possible to increase chances at and admit and scholorship. Even then it's unpredictable on what will happen!

• batstephbatsteph Alum Member
    6 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@batsteph said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Hey, I did apply this cycle. So far I have not heard from almost every school I've applied to.

I've been wait-listed at U.Mich though, so I am placing a lot of my hope and effort on getting myself in off that list.

Good luck! Hopefully there's more good news in your future!