Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC technique that worked real good for me

marleybabymarleybaby Alum Member
edited January 2015 in General 194 karma
Hey guys!

http://lsatprep180.com/the-lsat-and-reading-speed-change-headline/#more-1638

If anything aint clear or you want to see if his stuff worked on me fast or slow or what i did or whatever just message me again!

But the post is pretty solid and helpful!

Comments

• lsatonmymindlsatonmymind Alum Member
    135 karma
    Hey, can you provide more info on your results? Like how much you improved by using this technique. RC is my worst section. I'm getting only 14-15/27 and I'm aiming for 21-22/27.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I, too, would also like more info on your results ^
  • bonjoursmbonjoursm Alum Member
    181 karma
    This increases speed, but will this method increase understanding as well?
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    if all comments are legit then it looks like its worth a try. It seems like decent stuff, and its about reading quickly, not finishing quickly, difference being you're still reading as you would normally so you should still be grasping the same amount of context while finishing is just getting through and would probably lose some understanding. Though I am not a fan of the writing itself as it was clearly not proofed before posting lol so many errors -_-
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    It might be worth a shot. I'm also skeptical about the results, but I definitely need to increase my reading speed and will test out the instructions in the article this week and post back with any potential improvement. Jdawg113, I could not agree more! I thought that was a tad ironic on an RC post. Naturally, I was trying to read the article more quickly but got tripped up on some pretty egregious errors.
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    812 karma
    I think it would be really hard for me to read words without pronouncing them in my head
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    @alexroark5 well do you pronounce large words you're not familiar with? If its a disease or something I generally refer to it as R or L etc. Its not too much different... I think
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    812 karma
    hey jdawg i see what you're saying. i think if i run into a word i don't know how to pronounce correctly, i pronounce it incorrectly in my head
  • tsamvelyantsamvelyan Alum Member
    431 karma
    Here's how I improved on reading comp: I used to get 12-13 questions wrong per section. By far, Reading comp was my worst section and I bombed the LSAT twice because of Reading Comp. I tried everything....and when I say everything, I mean I even subscribed to the Economist. Nothing seemed to help until one day, my co-worker who's a HLS graduate told me EVERY ANSWER YOU CHOOSE ON THE READING COMP, YOU MUST BE ABLE TO DEFEND IT IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT. I haven't changed anything since then other than approaching the section with that mindset and now I miss like 6 questions per section.
  • Alice TravelsAlice Travels Alum Member
    29 karma
    @tsamvelyan Haha that sounds too easy to be true, but if that helps I'm gonna give it a try too.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    How has this worked for you?
  • marleybabymarleybaby Alum Member
    194 karma
    Hey guys! I followed exactly what was on the blog and it did wonders for me. I actually help host reading seminars to improve reading and retention. I'm a writer, so it also helps me to be top notch in this area too. Leave me a message on my inbox if you have a specific question.
  • marleybabymarleybaby Alum Member
    194 karma
    all targets the RC section of course.
  • laila.ayublaila.ayub Free Trial Member
    45 karma
    Wow! Yeah, I definitely notice the tips for reading faster are helpful, and you'd think it would make retention harder but it actually makes it easier because you only make necessary marks, etc., less distracting
  • synergy_101synergy_101 Alum Member
    180 karma
    I'm a strong advocator for this. In the past, RC was my weakest section and was often due to the fact that I would simply out of time from spending too much time reading the passages. It helped me understand crux of the passage faster and figure out where the important details are embedded. In addition, I could quickly skim the passage a second time to get a more thorough understanding before I hit the questions. Overall, I went from averaging 5-6 minutes reading the passages before hitting the questions to 3.5 minutes (with the skim). Equating to more time for the questions and thus improving my score.
  • Alex ShortAlex Short Alum Member
    112 karma
    I found that just by following the words I read with my pencil as I read (and more or less hiding words below it), I gain about 20% in terms of reading speed. It's just a bit more natural, and you don't want to allow your eyes to skip ahead of your mind.

I think knowing what types of questions to anticipate, as well as the way about which to answer those questions, one can score rather well in the RC section.

The grammar of the OP and something about the presentation makes me feel as if his end game is to make money off of referrals or something. I may give it a try as it seems reasonable, but re-learning how one reads is likely MUCH more time consuming than simply preparing for the LSAT.
  • JengibreJengibre Member
    383 karma
    For those who use a pencil or you finger to track the words, do you write down much if anything while reading?
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    Jengibre, yes, if I see the authors opinions, or the main point, or support for the main point, etc, I usually annotate next to the paragraph or sentence.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    This seems to be working for me too. Thanks!
  • SnowballSnowball Member
    111 karma
    I'd say this works for me, though I practice speed reading from a different source. I'm a natural reader. Before I used the speed reading techniques, I generally spent 3.5 to 4.5 min to read and notate. After some practice, I can read without stop for 1:00 to 1:30 per passage. If I notate and sometimes read back to check those referential phrasing, I can still finish a passage in around 2:30 with a quite good comprehension. English is my second language. I can do it. Why not you guys?