Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Length of test

RhondaroniRhondaroni Alum Member
edited February 2015 in General 59 karma
On my ticket it says the test can take up to 7 hours. Can it take more than the standard 3 hours? I can't imagine a timed test could go over...

Comments

• emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I guess it depends. Even though you have to be there before 8:30 am, they usually start at 9 am. I've heard that most people are done between 1pm-2pm.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Its for contingencies... sometimes people keep on coming into the exam hall before the test begins, the proctors don't start, and it takes longer... happened to me on my first attempt...
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    although u need to be there by 8:30, TC are unpredictable... it could be past 10 by starting time. They put it there so stuff can't happen and then people complain it took so long
  • RhondaroniRhondaroni Alum Member
    edited February 2015 59 karma
    I am getting dropped off so I won't have my phone, which is why I was hoping to know when to be picked up. How strict are they about phones? Will they let me put my turned off phone up by the proctor or something?
    edited February 2015 3438 karma
    No keep it at home... test centers can be really strict about that...
    and you don't want any sort of hassle on test day. Again.. personal experience... long story but suffice it to say, better sure than sorry...
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited February 2015 6867 karma
    Don't bring your phone. Don't even think about bringing your phone. If you get caught with it, on or off, you're done. Some proctors will let you leave your phones with them, but they are breaking the rules by doing so. In my view, not a good idea to take a risk like that.

Unfortunately, the best you can do is give your ride an estimate. Registration at 8:30 means the test doesn't usually start until 9:30 or so, and sometimes later. Then, about 4 hours after that (6x35min section + 15min break = 225 minutes, so 3 hours and 45 minutes), the test will end. You'll also need to leave time for proctors to collect and redistribute materials, and some buffer time for unexpected occurrences.

Given the above, the best case scenario has you getting done around 1:30pm, so maybe give that as an estimate and warn them that they might have to wait. Or, find a pay phone near your test site, bring some change, and call your ride when you're done.
  • RhondaroniRhondaroni Alum Member
    59 karma
    ok thank you so much!
    3438 karma
    Yeah... a guy who was testing at my center had accidentally bought his phone along, but even though it was switched off, the proctor made him go back to his hotel room to put it away... thankfully his hotel was only 5 minutes from the center and he made it back well before the test started... but I can't imagine that not being stressful on test day...
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I suggest making a friend with a car (don't talk too much to distract you but enough that they'll let you use their phone afterwards)
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    ^ haha. I pretty sure you'll be able to ask any random person outside the building to borrow their phone to call your ride.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I gave my ride an estimate. I believe I told them to be there by 1 PM. :) They usually just say that long as a precaution. Mine went the standard time length :)
  • devin.balutdevin.balut Free Trial Member
    77 karma
    All I know is that in Tokyo which was insanely efficient in everything, it was nearly 9:30 before we started the first section. If you're not fond of asking someone for a phone I'd give an estimate of 2:00PM to be safe. 1:30PM if they don't mind possibly waiting around.